Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Health & Medical Topics for Parents
  5. Help, does anyone know about Prolactinoma and Thyroid Nodules

Help, does anyone know about Prolactinoma and Thyroid Nodules Lock Rss

I may ramble a bit, and the post may end up being a novel...forgive me in advance. I am just really hoping to find anyone who will understand how Im feeling...
In Feb 2010 I was diagnosed with a 3mm prolactinoma (a benign tumor on my pituitory gland). Up until recently the growth of this tumor was controlled by my meds, now my prolactin levels are rising again and my meds are being changed. Im booked in for another MRI on the 13th Dec. I really dont like taking the meds as they make me feel crazy. I literally do not feel like myself, if you can imagine your PMS symtoms a thousand times worse thats how I feel...my husband just doesnt get it and he seems to agitate me more. If anyone has a prolactinoma or knows someone who has...Do you have any bad side effects from your meds? I just need someone to bounce off.
I was dealt another blow at the Drs today, I have two nodules on my thyroid gland. One is measuring around 2.4cm and the other is around 3.6 cm. One on each side. All of my blood test for thyroid function are normal, although my voice has become hoarser and at times I feel as though I have something stuck in my throat, these are the only symptoms I have. I will be seeing my endocrinologist on the 13 Dec as well (hopefully i can get an earlier appt) and according to my GP she will order a biopsy of each nodule.
Now the part that is scaring the begeebers out of me is the C word....cancer.
Has anyone had or have these thyroid nodules? What did you have to do? How does it make you feel?
Im sorry for all the questions....after crying alone all day, and then sucking it up and putting on a brave face for the kids i am just an emotional wreck sitting here feeling very sorry for myself and wondering what am i going to do if i have cancer.
I appreciate any advice given.
Do you know if the tumours are actually thyroid or parathyroid tumours?

If the meds are affecting you so badly have you thought about seeing a Neurosurgeon and getting an opinion about having the tumour removed?

Don't think about the C-word yet. Most thyroid nodules - more than 90% are benign, there are many treatment options and it is possible to lead a perfectly normal life after having your thyroid gland removed.

Do you know if the tumours are actually thyroid or parathyroid tumours?

If the meds are affecting you so badly have you thought about seeing a Neurosurgeon and getting an opinion about having the tumour removed?

Don't think about the C-word yet. Most thyroid nodules - more than 90% are benign, there are many treatment options and it is possible to lead a perfectly normal life after having your thyroid gland removed.

Hi Cruxy
The only word I have heard is Thyroid...if they are parathyroid tumors i havent been told yet. What is the difference?
I am really trying to find ways to cope with the meds at the moment as surgery would be the last resort.
I know I shouldnt be thinking about the C word just yet....its just hard not to. Im glad to here that more than 90% are benign...phew!

my sister has these nodules on her thyroid aswell she had an ultrasound done on them too and found they are just nodules so hopefully that is what yours are

as for the prolactinoma I don't know much as I had medications that caused my prolactin to reach well over 1500 when clearly it is not supposed to and I know the symptoms from that alone are not nice so I wish you all the best and hopefully everything works out for you

Hi unique1,
Wow the meds made your prolactin levels rise, my levels are just under 1500 at the moment. Hopefully the new meds will bring the levels down quickly for me.
Thankyou for your kind words.. Did your sister have the nodules removed? Do they cause her any trouble?
I was diagnosed with a prolactinoma in 2008. Mine was measuring over 3mm and my neurosurgeon made the decision to cut it out. That and the side effects I was having from it were pretty bad. I underwent transphenoidal surgery in August 2008. Luckily for me they didn't have to touch the pituitary gland when they cut it out but they did leave a small part of the tumor which I need to have monitored. The tumor had also had a bleed at some point and the fluid had crystalised as it was so old. I was out of hospital after 5 days and the only side effect I had was that I was very tired and had no energy to even walk up a few stairs for a few weeks. After a year of having the surgery I fell pregnant naturally with my DD.

I haven't had to go on any medications which I've been thankful for because I have been told that they have some horrid side effects so I really feel for you. I think the idea of going to see your neurosurgeon
and talk to them about surgery options just so you can make an informed choice.

Best of luck to you

Hi Cruxy
The only word I have heard is Thyroid...if they are parathyroid tumors i havent been told yet. What is the difference?
I am really trying to find ways to cope with the meds at the moment as surgery would be the last resort.
I know I shouldnt be thinking about the C word just yet....its just hard not to. Im glad to here that more than 90% are benign...phew!

The parathyroid glands are 4 little glands located on the surface of the thyroid gland. They produce a hormone, which regulates the amounts of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium in the bones and blood.
Sign in to follow this topic