Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

PND/depression... Rss

Is it possible to have PND or be depressed but still have good moments?

Can you have a mild form?

Can you have PND but not resent your children?

How is it diagnosed?

Thanks.

I had PND with DS1. I had good days and bad days but the bad were REALLY bad and, before getting help, they outnumbered the good. There were times I loved my little man, but in the bad times I felt like I could hand him over to the nearest stranger and not care if I saw him again. I think PND affects people very differently so its hard to generalise it.

Is it possible to have PND or be depressed but still have good moments?.... YES, SOME DAYS CAN SEEM FINE, OTHERS NOT.

Can you have a mild form? YES

Can you have PND but not resent your children? YES

How is it diagnosed? ONE OF THE WAYS IS SPEAKING TO YOUR DOCTOR AND DOING AN EVALUATION QUESTIONAIRE.

PND CAN BE FROM SLIGHT TO SEVERE, LAST FOR A SHORT TIME OR A LONG TIME. NOT EVERYONE WILL EXPERIENCE THE SAME SYMPTOMS.
SOME DAYS WILL BE GOOD DAYS, SOME WILL BE HELL. SOME PEOPLE CAN ALSO GET THE FEELING OF A RACING HEART, MOOD SWINGS, TEARFULNESS ETC. SPEAKING TO A GP IS PROBABLY THE BEST ADVICE. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Thanks.
someone i know had it and i was surprised because i didnt realise. Her PND was her being terrified that something bad was going to happen to her her husband or her kids and it made her afraid to do anything and she went to doc about it and was diagnosed with PND apparently that can be a form
I've been seeing a counsellor. Well tomorrow is my 2nd visit! She said she thinks I'm not depressed as in how you think of PND typically being but she said I'm not fine either. I did a multiple choice questionnaire and my scores put me in the middle and she said based on that and on what I told her she said it sounds right and I am mildly depressed.

I'm fine for days at a time.. And then I'll have a really bad day. I get unreasonably angry over things that don't matter and I will be really happy and laughing etc and then literally the next moment I'll be fuming at something stupid.

ETA - My sister had/has PND. She stopped eating and just seemed really down a lot of the time. She got angry quickly too but rather than getting mad like me she'd sit and cry. Like once when she tried to make fried rice and it didn't work she locked herself in the bathroom for like an hour and still refuses to make it lol.

I don't know if you're thinking of yourself but if it is definitely have a chat to your gp. It feels good to know you're getting better.

I don't resent my children at all smile

I've got PND at the moment. I don't resent my baby, I love him to bits. Babies are so innocent. But I resent my husband. really resent him. we argue all the time. the days I have are either really bad, bad or ok. I rarely have good days.

I think you probably have mild PND. maybe look into some counseling sessions. hope that helps

I'm fine for days at a time.. And then I'll have a really bad day. I get unreasonably angry over things that don't matter and I will be really happy and laughing etc and then literally the next moment I'll be fuming at something stupid.

That sounds like me. DD1 askes me 'are you happy or sad?'. I swear it's so she knows what my reaction will be to something she's done.
So, if she spills her drink, if i'm going to say 'it's ok, it was an accident' or lose the freaking plot.
I never know until it happens. I can be the best mummy in the world and then bam! I'm yelling at her to clean her sh it up off the floor sad
Tonight she said to me 'i'm not cleaning my sh it up off the floor. I need a rest'. Those exact words sad She's 3.5 years old.

Is that normal for me to be like that?
I suck.

That sounds like me. DD1 askes me 'are you happy or sad?'. I swear it's so she knows what my reaction will be to something she's done.
So, if she spills her drink, if i'm going to say 'it's ok, it was an accident' or lose the freaking plot.
I never know until it happens. I can be the best mummy in the world and then bam! I'm yelling at her to clean her sh it up off the floor sad
Tonight she said to me 'i'm not cleaning my sh it up off the floor. I need a rest'. Those exact words sad She's 3.5 years old.

Is that normal for me to be like that?
I suck.

Katrina - you are me! must admit your DD's comment made me stiffle a giggle... you are not a bad mum and neither am i but what you have just described is me and it makes me feel like the scum of the earth sad and i know it's not right but i just can't help it!

I know you can't help it. Neither can I. I swear when I wake up the next day will be different but it never is. DD1s behaviour has changed. I put it down to the arrival of DD2 because the first few months weren't pleasant till we got an answer to her non stop screaming and then a month after that DD2 was in a brace for her DDH and now she's in a spica cast so takes up a lot of my time. I've come to the realisation that I think DD1s changed behaviour is because of me.

She's sad, clingy, angry etc because of me. That makes me feel shi ity.

I've wondered if it is 'normal' to feel this way or not.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment. If you have to wonder whether what you are feeling is normal, then it probably isn't!
I have had PND twice now, although I don't think it ever truly went away. I had severe ante natal depression in my last pregnancy, and I can see myself heading down the same road. I want to get help, but sometimes I just think I'm over reacting and don't need it. Then something simple happens, like one of the kids spills a drink, and I get so upset about it I realise I need help. I know my PND has negatively impacted on my oldest child in the past, and I refuse to let that happen again.

There is nothing wrong with admitting you need help. The hardest part from then on is getting the help. I guess I kind of felt like once I admitted it, that was enough. To be able to put a label on how I was feeling was enough for me, I didn't want to go any further. But it's seriously ruining my life. My marriage is in shambles, I'm pregnant (by suprise) with my third, and sometimes I think that things just can't get any worse. Then I'll have a moment of clarity and realise how much I have in my life to be thankful for. Sometimes, it still doesn't feel like enough though.
It's like I'm wading through quick sand and I just don't have the energy to get out.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you think on any level at all that there is a problem, it's worth talking to your GP about it. Or go to blackdoginstitute.org.au. There are numbers you can call, and people who can help you wade out of where you are. Just reach out for help. There is always someone who can help you. There are always options out there. You just have to ask.
Now I just have to take my own advice......................................

Oh my goodness!
Big big hugs to you smile
DH says I whinge all the time and get angry at the littlest things. Nobody knows how i'll be. I could crack it over something I was ok about the day before. I'll cry or get angry over having to repeat myself constantly to DD1 which I thought was basic frustration. It could be. All I know is i'm not a happy fun mum most of the time. I sometimes don't have the energy to get them lunch. Obvously I do it though.

I think the spica has a lot to do with it. It's made life difficult. I have a lot of mixed feelings involved with it. I always have the fear that when we have a checkup it'll be bad news. It can change so suddenly when all things were going well so it's scary. It's due to come off in 6 days and i'm a ball of nerves hoping to god the xray comes back perfect. If not, she may need the spica on longer or surgery followed by a spica. She's 9.5months old and has been in treatment since 4months. She'll be over 1y/o before she's treatment free and can start to learn to crawl.

I've also been hoping my behaviour and feelings will magically disappear when the spica comes off. They could. Life might be a bit easier but thats why I haven't seen anyone. Waiting for the spica to come off and the switch to change.

You've given some wonderful advice...please do it for yourself now smile

I know you can't help it. Neither can I. I swear when I wake up the next day will be different but it never is. DD1s behaviour has changed. I put it down to the arrival of DD2 because the first few months weren't pleasant till we got an answer to her non stop screaming and then a month after that DD2 was in a brace for her DDH and now she's in a spica cast so takes up a lot of my time. I've come to the realisation that I think DD1s changed behaviour is because of me.

She's sad, clingy, angry etc because of me. That makes me feel shi ity.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment. If you have to wonder whether what you are feeling is normal, then it probably isn't!
I have had PND twice now, although I don't think it ever truly went away. I had severe ante natal depression in my last pregnancy, and I can see myself heading down the same road. I want to get help, but sometimes I just think I'm over reacting and don't need it. Then something simple happens, like one of the kids spills a drink, and I get so upset about it I realise I need help. I know my PND has negatively impacted on my oldest child in the past, and I refuse to let that happen again.

There is nothing wrong with admitting you need help. The hardest part from then on is getting the help. I guess I kind of felt like once I admitted it, that was enough. To be able to put a label on how I was feeling was enough for me, I didn't want to go any further. But it's seriously ruining my life. My marriage is in shambles, I'm pregnant (by suprise) with my third, and sometimes I think that things just can't get any worse. Then I'll have a moment of clarity and realise how much I have in my life to be thankful for. Sometimes, it still doesn't feel like enough though.
It's like I'm wading through quick sand and I just don't have the energy to get out.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you think on any level at all that there is a problem, it's worth talking to your GP about it. Or go to blackdoginstitute.org.au. There are numbers you can call, and people who can help you wade out of where you are. Just reach out for help. There is always someone who can help you. There are always options out there. You just have to ask.
Now I just have to take my own advice......................................

Thank you both for your replies... Katrina, the way you are explaining it is almost exactly the same as i feel without the added stress of a little one in spica cast (although my added stress could be full time university!).

I just don't know iff what im feeling is legitimate or if im over re-acting...

Sign in to follow this topic