Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Anxiety Lock Rss

I have a 23 mnth old DD. Last year after 6 mnths of DD being very unsettled, not sleeping etc a nurse that was helping us with the sleep and settling suggested that maybe it was worth me speaking with a counsellor to see if I had anxiety. Looking back it is clear as day that I was suffering fairly extreme anxiety while looking after DD. I went to the counsellor and it really help, gave me exercises etc and after a few months I seemed to be better. Counsellor always indicated that I had anxiety but was not clear whether I had PND or not. During this time I also returned to part time work but in a role below my previous management position and this has not been a problem.

I am now due to return to full time work in my old role next week. My DH is going to be looking after DD two days a week. I keep getting myself worked up about returning to full time work, feeling like the pressure is going to be too much and extremely worried about how my DD is going to cope.

I know that the anxiety has returned but my last counsellor has now retired and I am completely freaked out by the prospect of having to go through my previous history. We had a very traumatic birth experience, sleep problems, now behavioural problems and DH has also suffered depression which he has been treated for. The problem is that the thought of having to tell someone else about it all makes me cry uncontrollably and I end up feeling really sick. It is almost DD's birthday and last year I did have a few flashbacks so that is probably contributing.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can manage this so I can try to get the help I need?
*huge hugs* anxiety can be totally and utterly crippling. I don't have much time, but I have found sometimes I just have to acknowledge that yes I feel anxious, yes I will want to throw up- but I just have to do it anyway. I think you should see someone else, so even if you feel sick bringing it up again or even if bringing it up again makes you vomit- you just gotta do it.

No matter what you think, the feelings that anxiety brings- it isn't the end. The anxiety becomes all you can focus on. I try and turn it to excitement. I also try and leave my anxiety somewhere. eg saying and visualising leaving your anxiety in the car or up a hill, wherever.

PLease go and see someone. Life when managing it is so much better. smile
I've been told that I had PND, or depression and anxiety in general seeing as it has been almost 2 years since my last bub was born, but I can't take any anti depressant medications as they all disagree with me, so I now take St Johns Wort, a herbal anti depressant of sorts.
It doesn't make me feel happy and doesn't uplift me, but it certainly stops me feeling so angry and anxious and means I'm just on a more even keel looking after the kids.
Before I was snapping, feeling highly strung, stressed, short tempered, I think they are probably the best words to describe it. I could not handle the mess the kids were creating, and their general kids behaviour that I was finding unacceptable, but the St Johns Wort takes away the anger and frustration (most of the time).
It may not be for you, but you can buy it at Coles, Woollies, or any chemist and it can't hurt you, it is just herbs, so give it a go and see if it helps smile
My GP recommended it when we tried about 4 different anti depressants and I reacted badly to all of them.

I've been told that I had PND, or depression and anxiety in general seeing as it has been almost 2 years since my last bub was born, but I can't take any anti depressant medications as they all disagree with me, so I now take St Johns Wort, a herbal anti depressant of sorts.
It doesn't make me feel happy and doesn't uplift me, but it certainly stops me feeling so angry and anxious and means I'm just on a more even keel looking after the kids.
Before I was snapping, feeling highly strung, stressed, short tempered, I think they are probably the best words to describe it. I could not handle the mess the kids were creating, and their general kids behaviour that I was finding unacceptable, but the St Johns Wort takes away the anger and frustration (most of the time).
It may not be for you, but you can buy it at Coles, Woollies, or any chemist and it can't hurt you, it is just herbs, so give it a go and see if it helps smile
My GP recommended it when we tried about 4 different anti depressants and I reacted badly to all of them.
See your doctor or child health nurse ASAP there are many ways you can be helped to feel much happier.

Have you done the Edinburgh test? It is a ten question checklist asking you how you have felt in the last ten days ....good doctors, midwives and child health nurses should offer it to you during pregnancy and after baby is home. You can get a copy online from Beyond Blue but you should always combine the test with seeing a health professional.

If you want to take any naturopathic remedies like St John's Wort please have a consultation with a qualifiesd naturopath first not just the pharmacy assistants.....you can have major side affects from herbal preparations. Just because it is natural does not mean it is always safe for you or your baby.

Having said that I am a great fan of naturopaths and advise all my ladies to see one in pregnancy to adjust their nutrition and they can assist with many pregnancy discomforts like heartburn and much more...after baby is born there are many ways they can help you both and PND is one of them.

The Babycoach program prepares you for pregnancy and parenting and can help you with PND. Reducing the stress and supporting you throughout. http://www.babycoachonline.com
Sign in to follow this topic