Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Depression Support Forum (Post Natal, Paternal etc)
  5. One of the hardest decisions I've had to make yet

One of the hardest decisions I've had to make yet Lock Rss

Hi there,

To make a long story short... I have had a history prior to pregnancy of severe anxiety. I was on a very low dose of Effexor XR at the beginning of my pregnancy and then I weaned off it completely. During pregnancy I coped fairly well but now baby is four months I can feel my symptoms returning and life has become difficult. I don't want to hit rock bottom, as I have in the past and I can see all the warning signs...so despite fighting so hard,I have realised I need meds. The thing is the Dr only prescribed me Zoloft. In the past I took Zoloft and I had very disturbing side effects in the beginning...I felt absolutely catatonic depression and it didn't last long but it was...well, terrifying. I have had great success with Effexor XR but the Dr was hesitant due to breastfeeding. I am at a point where I feel I would sacrifice bf to be better...which is a really hard and sad thing for me to do...but I can't keep going the way I am. I don't know what to do. I went and bought the Zoloft prescription but it is sitting there, and I am too scared to take it because I don't know how I'd cope if I get those really bad side effects again. Anyway, has anyone had a similiar experience. Any words of encouragement too would really help right now.
Don't know if I will be of much help but I have learnt over the years (raised 3 boys on my own) that if you dont look after yourself how will you look after your child. Look at bf this way, at least your baby has had a solid 4 months of your milk with all that goodness and immunity that is more than what some women can achieve (including me). Do what is right by your health so you can enjoy your baby, be healthy and have less stress.

Putting your child onto formula doesnt reflect on your mothering just shows me your looking after yourself and your childs health. If in doubt go speak to your doctor again. Hope some of this helps, good luck
excellently said redapplause. Totally agree. Just remember that your doing it all in your childs best interest.

Don't know if I will be of much help but I have learnt over the years (raised 3 boys on my own) that if you dont look after yourself how will you look after your child. Look at bf this way, at least your baby has had a solid 4 months of your milk with all that goodness and immunity that is more than what some women can achieve (including me). Do what is right by your health so you can enjoy your baby, be healthy and have less stress.

Putting your child onto formula doesnt reflect on your mothering just shows me your looking after yourself and your childs health. If in doubt go speak to your doctor again. Hope some of this helps, good luck

I agree.

What's better for your child? A possibly depressed breastfeeding mother or a happy formula feeding one?

Big hugs and good luck making your decision. And just remember you will have the support you need here on Huggies smile

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I think that it is far more important for a baby to have a coping and happy mum than to be breastfed at the expense of the mum's health. Plus if you do get the side effects you described it is quite likely that you would struggle to keep breastfeeding anyway and might end up stopping without it having been your choice.

100% agree too, I couldnt have put it better. You are not letting your baby down by stopping BF and going on the meds you know will work infact you are doing the opposite you are doing it for bubs, ensuring you are both safe, happy and healthy. my dd got only a week of BF and it wasnt a normal amount it was topped up with formula as didnt have enough milk

dont feel bad, you are being a good mum and doing the right thing, well done for realising you need it and not ignoring the signs.
Thanks everyone for your support. It means a LOT. I have decided to make another appointment with another doctor, as I think the one I saw wasn't that great. I used to have a really good doctor but since I've moved across town I have struggled to find a good one again. It's so hard at the moment, but I do still have hope and I just know that I need meds, as I don't want to get worse. I've really hit the lowest, possible existance in the past and I pulled back from that. It's given me strength to know, that I can do it again. I am lucky to have a supportive partner, he is happy for me to do what it takes to feel better, though he will never fully understand how debilitating it can make me feel.It really is sooo hard for anyone to understand who has never had depression or panic attacks before. It's not something you can talk yourself out of. I am completely aware that my anxiety and panic is completely irrational, but it doesn't mean I can just stop it. I had an accident once that caused me great physical pain and I found that a lot easier to cope with than anxiety. I received excellent grades at university. I can make friends relatively easily. I have lots of hobbies. I can sing on stage. I consider myself to be logical, personable, fairly intelligent person, but I still suffer from anxiety, and sometimes it's debiitating. I have tried to stay off meds. I have eaten a healthy diet, I exercised everyday. I tried St John's Wort. I tried meditation. Daily yoga. Pilates. Swimming. Exercise helped a little, but still everyday was a fight. A constant battle with my mind. I have realised that I do need meds. I understand meds aren't going to make me super woman, or to give me esteem or make my life perfect...for me they just help me to feel stable, normalised, and rational so I can tackle everyday life without having to fight constant feelings of panic and depression. Thank you all again for you support : )
Double
I understand your situation very well. I suffer from anxiety and depression and I've been on Efexor for the last 7 years. I started on Zoloft and had severe mood swings, jaw and muscle clenching and basically went loopy. I was then put on Efexor and it was great. I started on a high dose and gradually dropped back. When I fell pregnant with my DD I was still on Efexor. My pregnancy was a stressful one due to work and personal issues so being on the medication helped me cope.

I breastfed my DD till she was 9 months old then she self weaned. I was takeing efexor while breastfeeding. I haven't seen any side effects in my DD. She has met every developmental milestone at the right age and sometimes in advance. I don't regret my decision to take my medication while pregnant or breastfeeding. I guess what I'm saying is that there's no reason you can't go back on Efexor and breastfeed.

You're doing great job and while you're not feeling the best right now it's great that you're seeking help. Whatever decision you make it will be the best one for your family.
Sign in to follow this topic