Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Wanting my old life back... Lock Rss

I have an 8 week old daughter who refuses to sleep during the day, unless I nurse her to sleep. If I attempt to put her in her cot, she just screams. Today she has cried for 17 hours and this is a good day!! I don't know what to do or where to turn. I just want some peace and quiet, even if it is only for a couple of hours.

I have two other children who also want my attention and I feel totally stretched. I am trying to give my other two children attention so they don't resent their new sister, I'm trying to pay my husband attention and try to get my little one to sleep. I have absolutely no time for myself whatsoever and I just feel like crying constantly.

I've been to the doctor who put my little one on medicine just in case it was reflux, I've been to the child health nurse who has no answer for me and I'm at my wits end. It's only been 8 weeks and already I feel like running away!

I'm unable to go out because my daughter just cries constantly and it all becomes too stressful. I absolutely love her, but sometimes I just want my old life back when I could do things without the stress.

I had a stressful pregnancy and was diagnosed with anti-natal depression and was seeing a social worker about it, so now I feel that it is my fault that she is like she is because I was so depressed. I am too embarrassed to go back to the social worker because bubby will just cry the entire time and as a result I'll just get more distressed, so I am trying to solve this by myself, which is just resulting in my feeling more and more lonely.

I have put a few posts in other areas asking for help in getting my baby to sleep, so I guess I'm in this forum to try and get some of my frustration off my chest. Thanks for taking the time to read this and wish me luck. Judith

DS 14, DD 9, DD 2

Hi Judith

Sorry to hear what u are going through. If its any consolation, my daughter too when she was a baby did not sleep much during the day...she too would sleep for about 10 minutes in her cot and then wake up crying...i'm not sure what was really bothering her. There wasn't much that i could really do but things did get better with time and they will for you as well. Yes, i know it is stressful as you have 2 older children - i too have an older son and I had to give him his share of attention too. Please just hang in there...u do not have to feel bad to ask for help...i know u love your little baby - just give her lots of cuddles and lots of "i love u" - time flies and she will grow up and one day, u will get your life back. My daughter is now 15 months old and is an independant little thing as well as has a mind of her own. I miss her being a little baby and i can't even remember anymore what she was like at 8 weeks.

mumof2

Hi There

I think somethimes we all need a hand and seeing the social worker is a starting point. By seeing first hand you with your little one she may have a better understanding of what you are going through. People that have studied in these areas like your social worker are trained to handle lots of situations and i am sure a crying baby would not ruffle them and you need to put your embarrassment aside as if you let this go it can escalate further. You have recongnised now that you are feeling lost and at your wits end so now is the time to take some action. I am sure your other children know how much you love them and they are wonderful litlle humans because of you. You go and get the help you need and start to build that beautiful family that you know you can do and deserve.

Take the bull by the horns and if at all it gets to much go outside scream then come back inside and start again.

Your doing great ........Get the help

Vicki

VLL, Vic

My heart goes out to you Jud.
I never had a problem with my bub-But I only have one! Where as you have 3 now.
I dont know what advice to give you.
I do remember though when Joel was first born and we took hom home the only way I could get time for myself was too take a shower with him crying in his cot. Although it seems cruel-It actually worked and he became a much less demanding baby and heaps more patient.
Plus I got to shower every morning.

I feel these are very extreme circumstances. Maybe she needs to see another doctor. And hey-Arrange for your other half to watch her so you can see your social worker. It heaps to talk.
Goodluck.
If you ever need to chat my e-mail is [email protected]

2 more sleeps

Sign in to follow this topic