Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Hiccups Lock Rss

Hi all
My 7 week old DD seems to constantly get the hiccups! I have read that they don't bother babies but it seems to really bother her and they seem quite violent. Does anyone else have this problem, know why it happens all the time or know how to get rid of them?
Ta
Kel

Mummy to Lily

Hi Kel,
I find that a quick feed will always make the hiccups go away. I don't like to watch their little bodies convulse with hiccups if not necessary.
Lara
Hi Lara
I have found that as well but she already feeds all the time so i was hoping there might be another solution but thanks though! I was beginning to think that no-one was going to reply!
Ta
Kel

Mummy to Lily

Hiccups that bother babies can be a sign of reflux. Might be worth checking out next time you are at the doctors. Remember that with silent reflux you do not have spillages.

Hi Masons Mum!
I thought there could be more to it I have been questioning if she had colic or reflux as she does get really upset at night time like she has bad wind. She isn't a good burper and doesnt really chuck much. How on earth do they diagnose it?
Ta
Kel

Mummy to Lily

Oops sorry Henry's Mum!
I'm half asleep sorry i called you the wrong thing!Wasn't reading this properly!

Mummy to Lily

Hi Kel,

I have to agree with the possibility of reflux. My DD is 10 wks, has reflux and gets the hiccups at least 5 to 6 times a day. She doesn't projectile vomit much but she does have little leaks of milk throughout the day. The hiccups usually follow these leaks.

Signs of reflux can be any of the following: arching of the back during or after a feed and feeding difficulties, crying in pain, vomiting, slow weight gain, sleep difficulties, breast refusal and snuffles, a dry cough and hiccups that distress the baby. I've taken this from my ABA "Breastfeeding Naturally" book.

Usually they diagnose on the presence of these signs, so I was told to keep a record of DD's vomiting etc. for a couple of days before seeing a DR. We were then put on medication to see if things improved. They can also do a gastroscopy to have a look inside the stomach but this is a very invasive procedure on a baby so it's pretty much a last resort.

We have tried a couple of different meds, but the only thing that has really worked is a change in my diet. It seems DD has the same food intolerances as DS and I have. So if it is reflux it might be worth looking into your diet if you are breastfeeding. If you are formula feeding there are some thickened formulas that are specifically designed for reflux bubs.

All the best.
Peta

Mum to Angus (4) & Abby (Aug 07)

Hi Peta
Thanks heaps for your reply! Bugger it! From what you have written as the symptoms, I think you may be right!
She if BF and sleeps really well during the day but in the late afternoon and evening she just wants to constantly feed and is really sooky in between! She pulls off the boob a lot and then cries. During the night she won't sleep in her cot. Even if she is sound asleep when i put her down, she wakes up after about 10 minutes crying and the only way to settle her is to feed her again. I know that this probably makes the wind worse but it is the only thing that calms her down. We end up sleeping together on the couch and she basically just snacks all night long. What did you have to take out of your diet? I eat reasonably well so i am not sure where to start.
Ta
Kel

Mummy to Lily

Sorry this ended up being a really long post.

We were having problems with our son when he was 18mths old so we all went on an elimination diet with the help of a dietician. This was about 2.5 yrs ago now. I know that Amines affect both DS and myself. I get reflux from them and he has behavioural issues (almost ADD). So our DR suggested trying them first.

DD is much more settled and now sleeps from 8/8.30 through to between 4 and 6 am. She still needs to be carried all day, but I just pop her in a sling and she's fine. I am also now absolutely certain that her problem is my diet as yesterday I had a hotdog and some chocolate (very high in amines) and I couldn't get her to sleep till after 10 last night, she then woke up crying in pain at 1 and again at 4.

With intolerances it isn't about how well you eat it is more about the natural chemicals present in all food. A good book to read is "Fed up" by Sue Dengate, you should be able to borrow it from the library, otherwise most bookshops have it and I have even seen it in Big W sometimes. She has a website: www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info which has some really good info and she also tours around Aus giving talks (there are some in Vic and NSW soon). I also have a little booklet which lists foods with amines, salicylates and glutamates, I could try scanning it and email it to you if you want.

However, as you are breastfeeding you really need to see a dietician to do the diet properly as it is very restrictive and there is a chance that it could affect your supply.

With night time sleeping, I ended up bringing DD into our bed but I was always afraid that DH would roll on her. My CHN suggested putting the cot beside our bed with the rail off and jammed against the wall. DD has her own space but I can just reach over to cuddle her or bring her into our bed for a quick feed and back into the cot after.

We did that for a few weeks but now that she is sleeping really well we have the rail on and I have a gap of about 6 inches between the cot and the bed so I can easily get out but I can still reach her during the night to help resettle her if she needs it.

I have also been told that reflux bubs want to suck, suck, suck to feel better, but putting more milk in hurts them more, so they love having a dummy. So if you are not against them, you might want to try one. DD just gags on them so I sometimes give her my finger to suck instead. DS also had reflux and loved his dummy.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Peta.

Hey Peta
Wow it sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare time too!
I am a bit of a chocolate fan and have been eating a fair bit of it lately so maybe that has something to do with it but obviously i would need to go and see someone to find out for sure! I have tried giving her a dummy but she won't take it... little bugger! I wish that she would purely for some peace and quiet! She does suck on her hands a lot. Maybe that is why....
I am just hoping that it isn't silent reflux cos it just sounds so aweful to deal with and terrible for bubs. I need to find a new GP cos mine is a creep and not what i am looking for in a family doctor! Will try to get in to see someone today if possible.
Thanks so much for your help
Kel

Mummy to Lily

You're welcome.

If you are going to try the elimination diet you will need a dietician familiar with the elim. diet from the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (NSW). You should be able to get info off fedupwithfoodadditives web site or if you live in Brissie I have the names of a couple of good ones. If you live in Sydney you could ring the hospital's allergy unit and see if they can recommend someone.

All the best, for your sake I hope it isn't reflux as it really sucks and it takes a long time for them to get over it, if ever. I still get reflux and DS (4) still has problems at times.

Peta.

Hi Peta
Just thought i'd let you know that i went to the doctors on friday and he is fairly convinced it isn't reflux. He said that as she isn't vomiting, it wouldnt be that. I thought that silent reflux didn't involve vomiting and asked him that but he kind of just dismissed the whole thing! He seemed to think it was a case of what he called 3 month colic.
He said that even though she is only 2 months old, it could still be this. He also said that there is really not a lot that can be done but comforting techniques and minimal handling and that it should pass by the time she is 6 months old. I said great only 4 months to go of helplesness! She has been a bit better the last few days so in guess we will wait it out and see what happens
Thanks again so much for your help though! I really appreciate it!
Kel

Mummy to Lily

Sign in to follow this topic