Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

haemangioma -birth mark Lock Rss

my daughter is 8 weeks old and she has an haemangioma birth mark on her upper arm which is getting bigger as she is getting bigger, i noticed it on her as a tiny red mark when she was 2 weeks old. my chn said that it is normal and it will grow for a year or so then it will fade as she gets older but i am worried when this will be and how big it will get. has anybody else's child have one? and do they fade and shrink?
He Mandz82,

My second DS has a haemangioma on the back of his upper arm. We noticed a red mark appearing when he was about 24 hours old and it has continued to grow. It has grown to the size of a 50c coin and raised about 4-5cm. He is now 2 years of age and it hasn't really gotten any smaller. It has never once bothered him and our paediatrician told us it is nothing to worry about. It is apparently very common in premature babies (DS2 was 10 weeks premature).

Am happy to chat further should you have any more questions.
Trudie xxx

[Edited on 07/04/2008]

Robert (31 Jan 04) & Jeremy (7 Dec 05 @30 weeks)

hiya
now you know what it is you will see them on kids everywhere!!
My oldest had one on her temple, it got slightly bigger, then faded, Now gone completely, she is 3 and 5months.
Sometimes they get really big, ie golf ball size! And sometimes in the worst places, on the tip of the nose, on the "third eye", on the willy.
If it is not gone when they hit school, you can get them lazered off but generally they diasappear of their own accord.
all the best
j

3 girls under 3

my daughter is 21 months old and has one on her neck that looks like a hickey! I thought it was a bruise when she was first born from the cord being wrapped so tightly around her necka few times...but it never went away. it has grown a bit...but isnt hugely eyecatching.

I have heard that they usually go away after a few years. I have heard of surgeries to get htem removed too. I have heard as long as it doesnt grow too close to an eye (if its a facial one) then not to worry too much
My daughter has one right across the front of her ankle/foot. They weren't sure when she was born if it was a bruise or a birth mark. Turns out it was the birth mark. She's 7 months old and I think it's now starting to fade. It went through stages of being really red, looking pale, back to red etc etc. Eczema over the top of it probably hasn't helped this. As her skin grows it also seems to break a little so I guess they go in time.
my little girl has one on her forehead
it started off as a red dot which appeared when she was around 2weeks old, and has been growing ever since (but its not overly big though at the moment)
my bub was premmie and at her 6week check up with the head paediatrician at the hospital he said that it is common, it will grow till shes about one, then disappear over the following 2year...
my partner also had one in the same place when he was a bub - but it was like the size of a 20c piece!
he had to get it removed in the end (makes you wonder how much of it is hereditry)
and another guy i know had one on his arm, it grew bigger, but didnt go away until he was 6
the good thing though is that they are not harmful!
my little girl has one on her forehead
it started off as a red dot which appeared when she was around 2weeks old, and has been growing ever since (but its not overly big though at the moment)
my bub was premmie and at her 6week check up with the head paediatrician at the hospital he said that it is common, it will grow till shes about one, then disappear over the following 2year...
my partner also had one in the same place when he was a bub - but it was like the size of a 20c piece!
he had to get it removed in the end (makes you wonder how much of it is hereditry)
and another guy i know had one on his arm, it grew bigger, but didnt go away until he was 6
the good thing though is that they are not harmful!
Sign in to follow this topic