Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Your Newborn's Health
  5. My baby has a cold any tips?

My baby has a cold any tips? Rss

my daughter is nearly three weeks old and has a cold, a blocked nose and sneezing. shes really nasal and has trouble settling and feeding. whenever i put her down she grizzles and dosent sleep. does anyone know any tips or ideas to help her? the chemist said that they won't sell us anything until she's 2 years old.

I think the baby nasal drops are safe to use, they help clear up the blocked nose, or one of those aroma humidifier thingy's (not sure of proper name lol) that release steam to help decongest your baby's airways. Also baby balsam ive found to be good. It's best to apply it onto the cot surrounding where she would usually lay down. Plus make sure she is getting plenty of fluids, even if she is refusing to eat/drink it's best to keep trying. DS now 13 months old was so terrible with colds. he didnt eat for 2 days but we managed to give him some juice and water, which definitely helped with his recovery. all the best and good luck. hope your lil one feels better soon. xx

You can definately use the saline nasal drops. There's one called Fess little noses that comes with a 'nasal aspirator' to help remove the mucous from your baby's nose.

Also try raising one end of the cot slightly, either by putting something under the legs or folding a blanket and putting it under the matress. It doesn't need to be very high, just enough to stop baby lying flat.

And if you don't have a humidifier then try making the bathroom steamy and sitting in there for a while.

Another tip with the baby balsam is to put it on their singlet. Just make sure it's an old one or one you don't mind getting a bit stained incase it leaves a mark.

My little man has a cold too and this is what Ive been doing for him. Hope your LO is feeling better soon.

Karen, DS1 31/8/03, DD 12/3/07, DS2 16/12/09

Sign in to follow this topic