Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. Length of First Period

Length of First Period Rss

Hi,

I've had my first period after giving birth to my baby girl, she's 7 weeks old. Normally my period lasts 5 to 7 days but it's been going for 10 days so far. Does anyone know if this is common/normal?

Thanks
Briony

Hi Briony

I too got my first period when Jordyn was 7 weeks. Mine normally lasted 3-4 days and were very light this one lasted 8 days and was very heavy. I guess things settle down after a few months (I hope). If you are really worried about it you could always ask a Child Health Nurse or your Doctor, I wouldn't be too concerned about it though.
Hi,

Thanks for that. Nice to know that it's probably normal. We've got our next checkup with our Maternal Child Health Nurse this week so I can ask her then if it's still hasn't stopped.

Bri

Hi Ladies,

I found my first was very heavy and long too, the second and third got better, and by the forth i would say that it was almost normal again.

What i do find now though, is the aches and pains are much worse, the day before and for about 3 days!

I am sure that it would be normal,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Thanks for that.

Well my first period after having Bub's lasted 2 weeks!

My M & CH Nurse said the same as you that it should become more normal over the next couple of months.

Thanks

i had my baby 5 weeks ago and haven't had mine yet, but reading this has made me quite standoffish to having my period. before i was pregnant, they were really heavy and painful, but would only last 3-4 days wiht the first two been the heaviest, so im hoping that my first isnt really painful

sarah (20), damian (20), thomas (5wks) Auckland NZ

Hi Sarah20

Although my first period since having my baby was very long and sometimes very heavy it wasn't that painful. Prior to being pregnant it would usually last 5 to 7 days with the first couple of days very painful requiring pain relief.

I've just started my second period since having bub's. So far it also hasn't been as painful but is hopefully it won't last as long as last time.

Hope this helps you

Hi Sarah20

I got my first period back when my son was 13 weeks old and I hardly had any pain at all. I used to get really bad pain for the first 2 days of my period, but since having my baby I hardly get any at all, however now I seem to get a really bad headache the day before my period - oh the joys of being a woman tongue !!!

All the best
Jasmine
wel i didn't have my period for ages after i gave birth (about 4 months) but i think mainly because i was taking the mini pill and breast feeding. ive stoped breast feeding and changed my pill to a different one. when i did that then my periods came for like 2 weeks. everyday it was heavy and painful and i had to stop taking the pill. im not gona start them again in july.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

hey everyone,

i was wondering how long everyone experienced bleeding for after they had their baby??? My baby is 7 weeks old and i experienced bleeding right up to last monday. It stopped for one and a half days then started up rather heavy and clotty again. I am seeing the doctor about this tomorrow. Has anyone else experinced anything like this?

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

Hi Surprised Mum

I had twins by caesarean on 3 August 2004 and I haven't stopped bleeding yet.

Went to the obstetrician for my 6 week check up, he did an internal examination and pronounced everything normal.

I mentioned to him that I was still bleeding, and he didn't seem unduly concerned.

However, as the weeks pass and I continue to bleed, I wonder when it will ever end.

I was never one for long heavy periods, and at the moment it isn't very heavy. Still, when I read about everyone getting periods in the same time frame that I'm in, and I haven't finished antenatal discharge yet, I do start to wonder.

I would be interested to see if others have or are having the same experience. I know that the bleeding can go up to 6 weeks (from the books) but we're both past that now.

So cheer up, you're not alone.

Ange, mum of twins born early August 04

hi briony,
mine first period after birth was the longest ever i never thought it was going to stop.Now ive just got my second period and everything is back to normal.its very common my friend had the same thing happen

simone,tas,17week old madison

Sign in to follow this topic