Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Lochia Lock Rss

Hi

Just wondering how long everyone experienced their after-birth lochia for?

It has been nearly 5 weeks since my labour and the bleeding stopped about 2 days ago but it has just started up again a little today ... is this normal? I thought it was only supposed to last 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,
Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Jo,
I think with Julia my bleeding stopped around 4 weeks, but I have a feeling that I was bleeding for longer with Naomi.
I think it would probably be ok, as long as it was only a little bleed and not bright red. If it was heaps, then I'd be worried too. I would think it's probably ok....and it will stop soon. You'll have your six week check coming soon and your doc will tell you then if there's any need for concern I'm sure.
Hope this helps a bit,
Georgina
Hi

I am still bleeding on and off and my daughter has just gone 8 weeks. At 3 1/2 weeks though I had to go into hospital for a curette due to bleeding. At my 6 week check the doctor said if I am still bleeding a week after I saw him to go back to him cause it isn't right to still be bleeding. I haven't gone back, but should because they cannot organise any form of contraceptive until they have worked out why I am still bleeding. Ask your doctor at your 6 week check and see what he says, it may be normal or it may not, everyone is different, but it wont hurt to ask and find out what is going on.

Hope this helps.

Heather
Hi Jo

I would get that checked by the doctor just to be sure but I didn't completely stop bleeding until 6 weeks after my baby was born.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Jo,

Oh, the joys of lochia... my doctor said it is common for it to last up to 6 weeks after the birth of your baby. For me after the birth of my first child is was very heavy and lasted for about 6 weeks. Since my second birth, 3 weeks ago now... my lochia has been very light and seems to come and go. My doctor said you need only be concerned if any of the following occur: you experience bright red bleeding, pass clots or notice a foul smell (which could mean infection). I wouldn't be too worried, but if in doubt speak to your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michelle smile

P.S. How is Ryan doing?
My lochia lasted about 6 weeks both times, and just as it seemed to be finished I got a few days of what seemed like a period. According to my first midwife getting a period at the end of the Lochia is fairly common. I then didn't get another period for 8 months first time around. Don't know how we'll go this time!
If you are at all worried though, check with your doctor.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

My lochia only lasted 2 weeks but once I started the pill again I bled really badly and had HUGE clots and that lasted another week! The doctor told me it was because I hadnt bled properly after birth! I also talked to a friend about and she experienced the same thing!
But if you're worried about it go and talk to ur doctor! I know my doctor got really sick of me im paranoid about EVERYTHING! hehe

Milli Teen Mummy 2 Shantilli Memphius

My lochia is still going my baby is nearly 9 weeks old, I went to the doctor at the six week check and she told me to see her again at 8 weeks after the birth if I was still bleeding, I am seeing her tomorrow and they are doing an ultrasound because bleeding should only last 8 weeks max according to her.

Amanda and Oscar (22 Feb 05)

Sign in to follow this topic