Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. theory about dummies..?

theory about dummies..? Rss

my bubs is now 6 and half weeks and started giving her the dummy a week ago, is it true that dummies give babies bad teeth?
hi,
im not sure about the bad teeth thing but i think it may apply when they start getting their teeth as it can remould their teeth n push them out but dummies have been proven to help prevent sids so thats a plus

In regards to dummies being bad for teeth, I received a newsletter from my dentist stating the opposite. Sucking a dummy is actually beneficial in that produces saliva flow which helps protect against tooth decay. It also says that a dummy is a better alternative to thumb/finger sucking (which can cause teeth problems and is also harder to wean from) and that any potential shortcomings to using a dummy are far outweighed by its benefits. So that should put some minds at ease.

Shay ~ 2yr old DD, newborn DS

hey guys my bubbys due in 2 weeks and im all for the dummies i do nt care what anyone says me and my sisters and brothers have perfect teeth and mum shoved a dummy in our mouth with all of us many people i have spoken to say no but thats them..., just wondering though when do i get bub on the dummy how early can she get on it ?

and do i leave her to sleep with it in her mouth?

love prissybabe

round 2 mumma

sucking on a dummie is alot better than having them suck there thumb which can cause buck teeth in later days
I have also been advised that dummy sucking is not damaging to their teeth, but thumb sucking can be.
same here - my step daughter has terrible teeth - her mum wouldn't let her have a dummy so she sucked her thumb right up til now (13) - has just had braces fitted !

my bub was a colic bub and the dummy is meant to help that so he had a dummy !

when Heaven said there were boys ... I asked for 2

Dummies can cause teeth problems if they're used after 2 1/2-3 years old. Most kids wont be using one by then anyway either by choice or because their parents have decided that they're too old.

I used a dummy with my now four year old (we took it away when he turned 2) and he has perfect teeth and Im using one again with my DD.

If you're concerned then you can get orthodontic dummies which are shaped differently than a standard dummy but there's really no difference in my opinion. They do cost more though and unfortunately for me the orthodontic ones are the only ones my kids will use!!

Karen, DS1 31/8/03, DD 12/3/07, DS2 16/12/09

Hi Guys

My DS 3ys had a dummy from the time he was born (7 weeks prem surviving twin) right up to 12 months and wouldn't sleep without it, couldn't go anywhere without it. He's teeth are fine.

My DS 4 mths won't take one, hasn't had one from day one and sleeps well. I have tried on a couple occasions to give him one when he's ready for bed as he wants to suck and it's usually his hand or breast...

I think it's up to you and the bub whether they have a dummy. I have seen some kids with bucky teeth due to sucking but that's moreso a thumb then a dummy.

All to their own really.
Joey

Luke & ~Rhiarna~ 13.05.04 & Ryan 26.03.07

Im a pro dummy mum smile

With my first DD we introduced her dummy at hospital she took to it well. Back then i wanted her to use dummy cos i sucked my thumb till 7 years old sad

However since then, ive found out dummys have many great reasons to keep using them. I wont repeat the stuff above, but add specially for bottle fed babies, sucking is their only way of getting them worn out as a young babies. Breast fed babies get that natrually, but as bottle fed babies can easily get their milk, they need something else to get active. Hope that makes sense.

My next DD is due in 18 weeks and i'll be using dummys again. The thing with dummys is when to wean them. With my first she was 4 months (when it became a problem) but each child is different, and you will find what works for you.

Posted by: JP409C
Hi Guys

My DS 3ys had a dummy from the time he was born (7 weeks prem surviving twin) right up to 12 months and wouldn't sleep without it, couldn't go anywhere without it. He's teeth are fine.

My DS 4 mths won't take one, hasn't had one from day one and sleeps well. I have tried on a couple occasions to give him one when he's ready for bed as he wants to suck and it's usually his hand or breast...

I think it's up to you and the bub whether they have a dummy. I have seen some kids with bucky teeth due to sucking but that's moreso a thumb then a dummy.

All to their own really.
Joey

Scarlett 4 - Hazellyn 1 - Blake born 29.07.09

My son has a dummy and he loves it. he sumtyms just wants to suck and not actually feed. its great. he loves it.

and to the whole thumb sucking giving babies bad teeth thing... not ALWAYS true. i sucked my thumb from birth till i was 16 (i only stopped cos i got pregnant) and my teeth are perfectly straight. not even one of them is crooked at all. lol.

Hannah-Lisa
Sign in to follow this topic