Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. Types of contraception

Types of contraception Rss

Hi ladies
I am currently looking at contraception. I don't want to go on the pill as I will forget to take it and I need something that will not be forgotten at all. I definitely do not want to get pregnant again.
My doctor has recommended the mirena coil, the implanon or depo-provera shot.
I think I might be leaning more toward the mirena. I'm not bothered by fertility after stopping contraception so I'm not limited by that.
I would like to know other's experiences with either of these please.
Whether you had any side efeects, what your periods were like afterward and whether it was effective contraception.

TIA for all your help.
Hi,

I got the Implanon December of last year. It has been great I have had no problems at all. I only get a small amount of spotting that lasts about three days now instead of my period and think it's great.

Good luck with your decision.

Mel

Every person re-acts differently. I personally would never get the mirena as it can cause some irriversable problems, I found the injection (depo-provera) great the only time I had probs with bleeding was when I stoped which I found out from the doc is because I should have come to her and got a week of the pill version as my body was having withdrawls (was fixed up easily). The implanon my midwife has informed me has the less problems if inserted by someone who does it on a regular bases (family planning centres are best) and I was thinking of going on it after bubs#2 but I have since heard it can cause alot of probs and is best to be avoided by people who suffer from PCOS like myself.
I have it and have not put on any weight if anything lost weight. As others have said we all react differently. We all need to find what works for you. I read all the bad things about the Implanon before I got it and I was unsure but after seeing my doctor she made me feel very confident about getting it. As she said if you don't like it you can get it out and everything goes back to normal. Very different to the injection as you have no choice than to wait for it to wear off.

Good luck

Again everyone is different....

I had the implanon about 5 years ago and had nothing but problems. I bled all the time (apparently not supposed to), miscarried twice and then they couldn't find it properly when the went in to get it out.

Good Luck.
Hi!
I know you mention above that you are worried about forgetting the pill, but I started taking it 3 weeks after my DS was born and have an alarm programmed into my phone for 7pm every night....and as a little joke between myself and my partner the alarm is a voice recording saying "NO MORE BABIES NO MORE BABIES"....
I was on the implomon after my 5th child and I never had wieght gain or odd bleeding infact my period went back to being regular.
I've had a Mirena for 10 months and am about to get it removed.
I was told to give it at least 6 months for everything to settle down. 6 months came and went and until maybe 6 weeks ago, was all over the shop with bleeding/spotting at least every 2-3 days. Not sure how long the calm will last! Also have had some pain, bloating and headaches.
Persevered this long but now am thinking about having another bub so having it removed for several reasons I guess. Not sure if I would have it again though, lots to weigh up for me. Have many friends who swear by it and know several who hate it too. Good luck with your choice.

I have it and have not put on any weight if anything lost weight. As others have said we all react differently. We all need to find what works for you. I read all the bad things about the Implanon before I got it and I was unsure but after seeing my doctor she made me feel very confident about getting it. As she said if you don't like it you can get it out and everything goes back to normal. Very different to the injection as you have no choice than to wait for it to wear off.

Good luck

I have actually heard of people with PCOS having such bad side effects from implanon that they have had to have a histerictomy.
Hi
Thank you to everyone for your replies.
I know everyone is different but it's good to hear others experiences with each type.
Lots to think about now.
Thanks again
We just use condoms and find them fine! I thought I'd hate it but condoms have improved a lot since we last used them (11 years ago when we first met!!)I didn't like the idea of anything, however small, going into my breastmilk.
I too think condoms might be they way to go until i finish breastfeeding, i have had all sorts of problems with just about every contraception known to man.

Then when we know that this is it, no more babies my hubby will have the snip.
Sign in to follow this topic