Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. Do I have to let my midwife in my house

Do I have to let my midwife in my house Lock Rss

I think they have to come to your house to check a few things- one being you and your wellbeing. There is a questionnaire they have to fill out- they ask you questions about your family history and health related questions, also how you are bonding with baby and go over anything you are struggling with or are unsure of.

They have to check that baby is in a safe environment. They don't go hunting through your stuff or wander around your house- it's not like that.

That said I'm not sure about the legalities of it, you could possibly call the hospital anonymously and ask them. I always thought it was a legal requirement as I have only ever signed permission for the CYHN to contact me and the hospital midwives always visited with only a few hours notice and no other permission from me (other than to say I was home).
When I had my kids no one did a house call. No one came to our place to see how I or the baby/babies were going.

The local council rang and then made smart comments about my kids being is special care and how long they were in there for. Then made a comment about getting support from hospital. I ended up saying don't bother and they didn't.

I just saw my GP/Pead and my doctor for follow up.

So I would say yes you can ask them not to come. I'm in Sydney so not sure if it's different where you are.

Good luck.

I don't think there is any legal requirement no. In Sydney it is a service provided by the council. They are so busy that I think by saying no thanks they were like one less visit to do. Thanks for that. I never heard from them again after the first phone call when I was home but my kids still in hospital. They will not contact child services if they don't visit.

I would just when you get home with your little one make an appointment for your GP and at least get your baby registered there so if you have any issues you can go and see them.

I had a midwife visit at home with my eldest. It was apparently 'required' if you left the hospital within 72 hrs, although I'd been in for longer than that so when the midwife came out she was surprised she'd been sent to visit me. With my 2nd and 3rd I just said I'd see my GP and went to see him in the first week or so. One tip for the GP, when you submit the paperwork for centerlink/medicare ask for a paper print out of your new medicare card details. Then, if your GP bulk bills, you're able to get bub bulk billed for any visits you need to do before your actual card is delivered.

Leisa.
Why do you want them not to come to your home? This is what they are going to be thinking as well. As blunt as it sounds this was my first opinion when I read this. I am all for them coming into my home and helping me with breastfeeding and doing heel pick test etc. It's there duty of care to make sure mum and bub are doing ok.
4 surprises wrote:
Why do you want them not to come to your home? This is what they are going to be thinking as well. As blunt as it sounds this was my first opinion when I read this. I am all for them coming into my home and helping me with breastfeeding and doing heel pick test etc. It's there duty of care to make sure mum and bub are doing ok.

+1 I agree

With my first the midwives phoned the day after I got home and visited twice. I really needed these visits as I was struggling with breast feeding and knowing I was doing the right thing. The next visit was the child health nurse and you do sign a consent for that. For me the visits were so necessary and I needed them. I guess from their point of view they need to know your doing ok. Good luck and all the best

doublewammy wrote:
4 surprises wrote:

+1 I agree

With my first the midwives phoned the day after I got home and visited twice. I really needed these visits as I was struggling with breast feeding and knowing I was doing the right thing. The next visit was the child health nurse and you do sign a consent for that. For me the visits were so necessary and I needed them. I guess from their point of view they need to know your doing ok. Good luck and all the best

+1 agree

I found I needed the visit too. I think its important, you go through an emotional roller coaster to have bub, let them do their job. In NZ they have to do a certain num of visits or they dont get paid

I will also put my hand up and say that I found these visit invaluable. My sons skin colouring was really bothering me but the staff at the hospital didn't listen. The midwife visiting me at home agreed he looked a little jaundiced and organised another midwife to visit again to give him a heel prick test if necessary.

They also taught me how to clean his eyes- they were very mucous-ey for a long time but they hadn't been that bad in hospital.

Oh and when I brought our firstborn home- she visited me a few times a week for a couple of weeks and I had no idea that wasn't the norm- I just appreciated it more than I can say. She helped me feed her, restocked my supply of nipple shields and checked her poo- just to name a few things that we were having really big issues with (especially being first time parents).

Anyway, I hope you don't see this as pressuring you! I just wanted to reassure you that it's a great service and nothing to be stressed about.

All the best with everything smile
It is a great service. With my third she was a,little jaundice and they came around to make sure it was resolving and not getting worse and after the first visit they usually ask if you want them to visit again but if you and Bub are fine you can say no thanks
Like everyone else has said, it really is an invaluable service which I really appreciated with my first born. They also weigh your baby to see whether they have regained their birth weight and to check if they are feeding properly.
If you really don't want to let her into your house, do you have an outside patio or verandah or similar as an alternative?
I actually had no idea they did home visits until the day before when the nurse phoned to check I would be home. I felt a bit weird about it as we were living in a shed cause we were unable to finish building our house before baby came but the nurse was lovely. She understood my situation completely. She helped me with breast feeding, suggested family nursing clinics that I could attend (and were also helpful) and she really helped with the separation anxiety I developed with baby. She assured me that my baby was a healthy weight after weighing her and then reported back to my doctor with her findings.
Emotions still going crazy I bursted into tears when she was leaving, she was that helpful. I didn't no where to go or what to do until she visited and I am so thankful they have that service available.

I would suggest you don't rule it out completely until you see how you go when baby is born. You may be perfectly fine but it is always nice to no you have the option if needed.

Sorry if I came across harsh in anyway. They are not there to criticise your home and if it's old etc. They are only there for you and the baby's health. At your next midwife appointment let them know that you don't want them into your home. I guess you do have a right for privacy. They are more professional than going to a family member or partner for help. I have 4 children already and am 3 weeks off giving birth to my baby and I needed there support with all of them. No matter how many babies you have or how much experience you have or family support you never have enough knowledge and support when it comes to raising children. I put my hand up every time for help with breastfeeding toilet training etc because parenting is the hardest job in the world and 18 years of experience and I'm still asking questions and help. They are there to help. Once again I didn't mean to come across harsh. I was just putting it across to you in the way I read it and how the nurses are going to think the same. With my last baby my nipple were bleeding and the nurse drove to my place with nipple shields and helped my little one to latch on in between her appointments. This is the kind of help you will need and I've breastfeed 4 kids and still needed help. So it doesn't matter how much support from family you have you still need professional help. I wish you all the best.
Sign in to follow this topic