Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. Postpartum Care - tips for what to pack for hospital

Postpartum Care - tips for what to pack for hospital Lock Rss

Along with the cute onesies for your little bundle of joy, there are a few things you will be grateful that you packed in your hospital bag:

1. Maxi Pads

Women can expect to bleed for several weeks after childbirth (even if you have a C-section). Have an ample supply of maxi pads at home and at the hospital.

2. A Sitz Bath

It's common for first-time moms to tear their perineum (the area between the vulva and the anus) during a vaginal birth. Ouch! To relieve the pain, Roman recommends filling a sitz bath or basin with warm water. Then, you simply rest your bottom in it — how soothing!

Doctors sometimes prescribe medications or other additives to put in a sitz bath. An example is povidone-iodine, which has antibacterial properties. Adding table salt, vinegar, or baking soda to the water can create a soothing solution. You also may take a sitz bath using only warm water.

3. Lidocaine Spray

Lidocaine spray, found over-the-counter at the chemist, can also help relieve pain associated with tearing or hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids can be quite a shock, especially if you have been pushing for a long time. If your hemorrhoids are extremely painful to the extent that you have trouble even sitting down, you may have to be evaluated by your doctor.

4. A Squirt Bottle

Squirt bottles are brilliant. After a vaginal birth, hemorrhoids may make it difficult or uncomfortable to wipe after emptying your bladder or having a bowel movement. Filling a squirt bottle with some simple tap water can help you feel cleaner after you use the bathroom.

5. An Ice Pack

This household staple also helps to relieve pain around the perineum.

6. Witch Hazel Pads

Another simple chemist product, witch hazel pads can also help relieve pain associated with tearing and hemorrhoids.

7. Cold compresses and warm washcloths

Cold compresses and warm washcloths, combined with gentle massage, might help with breast and nipple pain.

Cracks and sores in the breast or nipple should actually be evaluated by your physician, because they could indicate yeast or a bacterial infection. However, some women experience very little breast pain at all, so save your money on creams etc. until you're sure you need them! If you are going to buy anything in advance, we love Hydrogel Breast Pads which you can put in the fridge if you like the feeling of something cool on your sore nipples.

Have you got any of your own tips for post-partum care that you'd like to share? We'd love to hear from you!

When i packed I took of course all the baby stuff. I took an outfit to bring my baby home in. an outfit to take his pictures in. and just some other outfits so he didnt just have to wear the hospital clothes while i was there. unfortunately my baby was 6lbs 12ozs and we had to go buy a couple smaller outfits for him! make sure you bring yourself a robe. for walking around if & you dont want everyone seein your butt through the sexy hospital gown! lol. and slippers and very nice to have.
Sign in to follow this topic