1. Identify how you're feeling.

Be mindful and say to yourself, for example, "I'm feeling scared about taking care of another person," "I'm overwhelmed by how much my life has changed," "I'm a little depressed," or "I'm frustrated that I now have all these stretch marks." (Talk to your doctor if you're feeling very down longer than two weeks postpartum so she can be sure that you're not suffering from depression, which can affect as many as 20 percent of new moms.)

2. Remember, you're not alone in feeling this way

Millions of other women are experiencing exactly what you're experiencing. There's something very comforting knowing that you're not alone in this. Talk to other women who you trust and feel comfortable with - friends who have had kids or on this forum.

3. Be a friend to yourself.

Think about what you would tell your best friend if she said she was feeling exactly what you're feeling right now, then tell it to yourself.

4. Get outside

Feelings of loneliness and desperation can increase if you stay inside all day with your baby. Make sure you get out - even if it's a walk down to the cafe or 30 minutes walk around the block.

5. Practise Gratitude

Keeping a gratitude journal really helps you shift your perspective away from the negative and toward the positive. No matter how stressful or overwhelming your day might be, there are always moments worth celebrating. In order to train your brain to notice what is going right, take the time to write down three things you're grateful for every single night before you go to bed.

Are you suffering from the baby blues or PND? Let us know how you are feeling and what you've done to try and feel better.