Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

post natal depression Rss

i have only recently found out i have PND everyone thought i was just overly happy and excited and i was but i was using this to cover up i was in denial and thought i could snap myself out i also thought it would have happened straight away not 2 months later. i thought i was a bad mother stressing only 2 months later.
has anyone else been or going through PND? and how do u cope? does it get better? am i turning into my screaming mother?

Liby mum for my almost 1 yr old 14/1/03 ashleigh

i went through a stage where i felt constantly run down, stressing about the baby, my relationship with my partner, parents and friends and due to this i slipped into an even more depressed state. i realized how i was feeling and my child was already 6 months and i found it odd that my feelings suddenly changed. i went to the doctors feeling ashamed of feeling this way, for i was a mother. the doctor made me feel comforted as he told me and showed me that i was not alone, i know this what everyone says but it is true. He let me talk it out and after a month i was back on track, but just remember that everyone has their off days but if it lasts longer than 2 weeks or your moodiness is on and off more than 3-4 times a week please don't be scared or ashamed to seek help.

jayden, qld, 1 yr boy

After I had my 2nd everything was going well and I thought that I was coping well.My husband and my 11yo was helping + my inlaws were there too everything was fine,well thats what I thought.By the time she was 1 1/2 I started feeling down,bad moods,snapping at everyone,stressing out, I just thought it was the new work load that I had but when I went to the doctor for a checkup and he asked me how I was feeling,it just all came out.I was crying like my baby and I thoght I was going to explode and he turned and said that I had PND. I thought no way as when I had my first I didn't feel like this.Then he explained all the symptons of PND and u have it,I had it.He said that he could put me on anti-depress tablets.At first I said no but then I thought about what I might do to either the baby or myself,so I went on them.One week later I started feeling better.I was coping with the baby and in myself I was feeling happier about everything.After being on them for 2years I knew it was time to stop,so 2months ago I stopped,and guess what,I feel GREAT.Some people don't agree with having these kind of pills,but sometimes you have to.I say if it is going to help you in the long run you should do it.Don't hide the feelings that you have because for some people PND does happen and the sooner you get help for it the better you will feel.and the last thing we all want is to be turning into our screaming mothers.Don't worry as this does get better,sometimes quicker than others BUT IT DOES GET BETTER.

LittleSasa,SA girl

I too was told I had PND by my doctor.I could not believe that what I was feeling was normal.I just thought it was the hype after having no.2. the thing I didn't understand were the feelings I was having eg,crying for no reason,snapping at everyone for what I thought was no reason,feeling resentful towards my baby and actually thinking of hurting her.I would never of thought I could see myself hurting this tiny precious baby that I gave life to.When I had my first,he's 11 I never felt any of these things,but with no2 I did.When the doctor suggested anti'depress tablets I said no but then I thought of the things I might do to my family so I went on them.Within 2 weeks I wasn't feeling any of the things I was before.I felt great. I was able to cope withanything and everything.My life just felt better.Everyday with the baby got easier and easier.Some people don't agree with anti-depress eg:my mum,and they say it will pass but for alot of people they need help to get through it.Two months ago,after having been on them for 2 years I stopped because I knew I could do it on my own,and I am feeling so much better now I don't know what would of happened if I wasn't on them.None of those thoughts have even crossed my mind( my 11yo makes me think them sometimes though).All I can say is that it is normal and you are not a bad mother, but there is help there if you want it.If you would like to talk about PND,babies/children please email me.It would also be great to have a email pal.My email is KERINSTEVANOVIC@bigpond.com
REMEMBER you will get over it and it is normal
Good Luck

LittleSasa,SA girl

Sign in to follow this topic