Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Routine Dilemma!! Rss

My bubby girl is three months old and I still havent really got a routine for her. I try but she changes every day. She wakes up at different times even though I do put her to bed the same time every night, then throughout the day sometimes she will sleep two, three times and then other days she doesnt sleep much at all.

Do you think establishing a routine is important? If so any suggestions on how to get one going. She goes down at 8:30 - 9:00pm each night, do you think this is to late? She sleeps through though.

Sam, QLD, Ava 11.08.2005, Michala 11.01.2007

Hi,
My little girl is 3.5 months old and I can't keep her in a routine either. You're lucky she sleeps through, my little girl still won't. I think it's just trial and error. I think you're putting her down at a good time, especially if she is sleeping through. Just hang in there. She will develop a routine soon.

None of mine have been at all predictable until at least 5 months, but i've heard from a few sources strict routines shouldn't be started till at least six months. The only thing i've always done is not let them sleep after 5, that way they get tired at night at the right time, and sleep them in their cots for naps. I think the only one is the feed/play/sleep cycle as many times as needed, that way she's not dependant on a feed to go to sleep. One day you'll just realise she's put herself in a routine!

Kelly, 22, 1 @ 25/1/04, 2 @9/3/05, 1@5/4/06

G'day
I started my bub on a routine around 7 weeks old. We love it. We can actually plan for the day. We do feed/play/sleep routine and at the moment he's 15 weeks old and basically up for two hours (feed included) down for two hours for a sleep twice a day and an hour nap (sometimes). He goes to bed around 7:30-8pmish has a rollover bottle at 10:30pm and sleeps through to around 5:30-6:30am. Before we started this routine Jeb was all over the shop and it was hard to do or plan anything. He found it hard to sleep during the day but now sleeps like an angel with very little fussing when put down for his sleeps. I must admit I was very strict in the first week but as soon as we were in a well established routine I now let him lead but he has pretty much stuck to this 4 hourly routine. Jeb also use to stay up until 8:30-9:30 but over the past couple weeks I've just been putting him to bed earlier by about 5 mins each night and it has work a treat. Jeb has slept through since about 5 weeks so introducing a routine during the day shouldn't have any effect on this. Being a first time mum I am so glad I found this web site as I had no idea about routines but now we have one going I wouldn't have it any other way. We still have or bad days but they are very few and far between. I'm not saying a routine is for everyone but I'm just letting you know that it has worked for us and I reckon it has made me a better mum as I know when I can have a break and it has certainly made him a very happy bub. If you read ashtonsmum's post in here on "Bad daysleeper" I have written a lot in there about my routine and how I did some stuff. Hope this helps.
Sign in to follow this topic