Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

taking the dummy away? Lock Rss

hi all
I ahve a 9 week old. He use to be pretty good with his dummy only needing it when unsettled, usually for day sleeps, but recently we went 8 days with no poop so the dummy was used alot and he even started using it thru the night.. now he wants it all the time. I want to take it away but maybe not just yet. I use it when hes awake to keep him form whinging when he is cranky so i dont know how i will do it. I just want to hear other mums experiences ands what ages u took it away. I dont mind using ot for now btu once it becomes a problem ( waking in the might for the dummy) i wil betaking it away. OSMe mums have said u just take it and put up with the cryog fo a few days... but u dont give it back at all...
so what have u guys experienced or heard? and what age?
m

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Hi my bub is 10 weeks on wednesday and i have been using a dummy since she was born.
I started with just a cheap one from priceline(where i worked)and she used to spit it out all the time at night and start crying for it now i have started using NUK ones and she loves them, they are shapped so they fit inside their mouth really well and i find that she sleeps with it no problems and doesnt wake up utill she wants a feed now.
I think dummies are a great tool but i dont plan on using them all the time.
Hope this helps.
Lisa

Lisa,new mum to Shelby 24/08/05, QLD

hi ashtonsmum, i agree with you, dummies are for babies only! Mine were all rid of them totally by 3 months, i think if you're concious of how much you use them you should be fine. The thing that annoys me is seeing people jam a dummy in a baby's mouth when it obviously doesn't want it-ie all my family! Mine just weaned themselves, though i have heard they don't really form addictions until 4 months. I would use it if they wouldn't settle, but take it off them as soon as they did, most of the time they just needed to calm down from their state. I've found in the long term it's easier to find out the reason for crying and solve it rather than have the dummy as a cure-all.

Kelly, 22, 1 @ 25/1/04, 2 @9/3/05, [email protected]/4/06

Hello

My little girl was using a dummy for all of about a month ago. It was much easier to take away the dummy as you can replace it with a toy. Ive talked to other mums and they agree if you dont want to take it way until a few month, do it at 4 months. My little girl just loved her dummy i was worried she was going to turn out like those other babies out there with their dummys. But at the same time i would rather her have her dummy than her thumb. Just after i took her dummy away she did suck her thumb for a little while. But she found her toys much more interesting. A good tip i got was once you take it away dont give it back, you can confuse bubs & make sure your feeling pretty good & can handle a few hours of crying.

Hope this was of some help.

Scarlett 4 - Hazellyn 1 - Blake born 29.07.09

Sign in to follow this topic