Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Help! Catnapping and screaming!

Help! Catnapping and screaming! Lock Rss

Dylan use to eb agreat day sleepe and now all of suddne he is only sleeping 45 mins, i am lucky if i get an hour, i ahve tried keeping him up longer, tried resettling, any other ideas? I use to get abd day every now and then but only a day every nw and then, now its been about 8 days straight! I am exhausted...

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Hi, Don't think I can offer any help but sympathy as my bub, Luca (5/8/05) is doing exactly the same thing sad I have been keeping him up for an hour to an hour and a half or until he is grumpy then doing our normal routine, comforting him every 5 - 10mins. I have been also trying to resettle him when he wakes, I figure that at least he is in a restful, non stimulating environment in his room even if he is grisling. If he really won't resettle I will feed him 2 1/2 hrs after his last feed.

Not sure if that helps you but seems we are both in the same boat! Katy

Katy and Baby Luca, Perth

Hey Kirsty,

I arn't going to be much help either because as you have seen in "Bad Day Sleeper" my daughter Kyla is usually always like that, not matter what I do. Its pointless for me to even offer the suggestions I was told by my nurse and a video because its a different situation in that he used to sleep well not like Kyla who has never slept well.

I hope it all works out and that he gets better. Maybe its just a growth spurt or one of those "bad weeks" that lots of people talk about.

Kel
Hi everyone not sure if this will help but have you checked your diet? If you are drinking coffee/coke or eating things like chocalate,cabbage,onion,beans or anything spicy it could be your prob, only saying thi as i had a great bub that slept well after feeding up until i got out of hospital and resumed my coffee for beakafast and veggie for tea routine, luckily a freind of mine cam over one morning after Janet had cried solid from 12pm til 6am, soon as i picked her up she settled would give her a feed if she wanted it and she would doze off soon as i put her down 5 minutes tops awake and screaming again, was very exausted and upset by time friend came over, she is a carer and has three kids of her own 21, 18,16 plus four kids in her care under 5. So bit of experiance there, she advised me to try cutting foods out and Hurrah it worked she told me the ones above and with in 24 hours of stopping eating them Janet sleeps and settles now, good luck from a very relived first Mum.
Hi l wish l had a solution for you but l'm finding l have the same problem, my daughter Dakota just won't sleep during the day and on the odd occasion when she does its normally only for 30mins. I have changed my diet any everything because of her colic but it still does not help. Has anybody got any other ideas l catch her tired signs early put her down and she will just look around and fights it.

mum to two dd

I'm in the same boat like you all--especially cheekymama--but 1 difference--when Dad's home, Matthew is as good as gold!! He is 8 weeks, & fully bottlefed from 4 weeks. I've had 2 hell weeks & today is starting exactly the same way--I shower & change out of my pj's after 2 pm. Have tried all settling techniques in all the books & literature from the clinic. I'm wanting a break!!! I have a shower & 2 minutes later screaming is heard from under the water! The only method that works is letting him cry--but this breaks my heart!! I'm exhausted!! Tight wraps, check the nappy, more burping, bath, offer more bottle, pram walks, car trips, electric swing--nothing works. I'm very anxious, Matty born 2.580kg--8 weeks later 3.7kg, just on the growth curve.

Sarah-Matthew 080905

HI I ALSO HAVE A UNSETTLED CATNAPPING BABY. I FOUND THAT SUMMER WAS ONLY SLEEPING AROUND 10 -15 MIN AT A TIME AND CONSTANTLY CRYING.. VERY FRUSTRATING AS I ALREADY HAVE 2 OTHER CHILDREN AND THIS NEVER HAPPENED.. BUT AS WE GET OLDER OUR DIETS CHANGE AND OUR HABITS.. I LOVE TO DRINK TEA ALL DAY AND AN OCCASSIONAL GLASS COKE.. I CUT MY TEA AND ALL CAFFENE DRINKS DOWN TO 3 A DAY AND TO MY AVAIL SHE IS NOW SLEEPING AT LEAST 30 MIN IS HER MININMUM NAP.. MIND YOU AN HOUR MAX BUT THE SCREAMING HAS DEFINELTY SETTLED AND SHE SEEMS HAPPIER.. SO I THINK IF YOU ARE BREAST FEEDING THIS MAY BE AN OPTION.. OTHERWISE I FOUND 2 -3 BATHS A DAY ALSO CALMED HER DOWN AND RELAXED HER ALOT.. I HOPE THIS HELPS. IT AT LEAST SETTLED DOWN THE SCREAMING THE SLEEPING WE ARE STILL WORKING ON TEACHING HER TO SLEEP LONGER???
I hear you all. My 6 wk old was a great sleeper till a week ago. He still sleeps at night (goes 8hrs then 4hrs) but during the day will only catnap unless being held or pushed in his pram. My toddler gets more daytime sleep than my newborn atm!

I have been trying unsuccessfully to do all the things I did with my now toddler as a newborn which made him a great day and night sleeper. Doing the sleep- feed - play thing, putting him down when he shows tired signs, patting him till his eyes start to drop ... I leave the room and 15-20 mins later he is crying again so I go back in to pat him, same thing leave the room as his eyelids are dropping and he is calm. This can go on for over an hour until he is getting so overtired I cuddle him to sleep as I figure some sleep is better than none.

Any hints? I really feel like my toddler is missing out on mum time cause I'm either carrying his brother around or in his room patting him

Thanks!
Sign in to follow this topic