Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Routine for newborn - good or bad?

Routine for newborn - good or bad? Lock Rss

My bub is 10 days old and has trouble settling. Last night he cried for three hours in between feeds. The day before he was unsetlled all day (fed, changed nappies, winded, etc).
Now I know I can expect this with such a young bub but I was wondering if he was too young for a routine?

I have read through the Contended Little Baby book and like the sound of a routine, but it does seem a bit regimented for such a little man - does anyone else have experience follwing this routine at such a young age? Also, is it ok to leave a baby that age cry for a while? if so how long?

At the moment our 'routine' is a feed every three to four ours.

Mum of Charlie 02.12.05

"they" told me that baby cries for a reason, is he getting enough food? It's up to you if you want a routine some mothers swear by it. We are using the feed, play and sleep on our almost 6 wek old but I don't worry if she doesn't play each time. So far so good, I think you can leave the baby to cry for a short time but just make sure that he hasn't been sick or needs a nappy etc. for some people feeding every 3 to 4 hours is good. Good luck

One day at a time

Hi

I think it's a great idea to introduce a routine.

Ideally, your little one should be awake for a maximum of an hour - feed, change, play. As soon as he shows any sign that he's tired, even if he's only been up for 1/2 an hour, put him straight to bed.

Please don't let your son cry. He's too young. Once you've worked out his tired signs you'll probably find he won't cry as much anyway.

Your both new to this, so give it time and soon you and baby will be pro's when it comes to a routine.

Let me know how you go : )

Jennifer, DS 21/06/03, DS 16/10/05

When my baby was born he would sleep all day and so for 6-8hrs between feeds but them would b up feeding from 12am-6am and would b lucky to get an hrs sleep outta him. I started wakink him during the day 4hourly for feeds and put him onto a routine of feeding at 6, 10 and 2 over a 24hr period. He wakes at these times on his own for feeds and i usually give him a half hr leadway either way of these times (ill feed him a half hr earlier or let him sleep a half hr later) Also pick ur babies most unsettled period and bath him at that time, this usually relaxes them and they sleep better.

Baby Kaleb 1 years old

Sign in to follow this topic