Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Tips on last feed routine?

Tips on last feed routine? Lock Rss

hi everyone

my 8 1/2 week old little man is going well during the day but we seem to have no consistency with his last feed. I would like him to feed around the same time each night, and don't quite know how to get him there. I am trying to go with the 6am, 10am, 2pm thing within reason (half an hour say if he is desperate), and then it turns to custard. He sometimes eats 4pm, 6.30pm then I try and hold him off till 9pm. He used to be drowsy at the last feed and go off like a dream but now he is treating it like any other feed and is wide awake and I am having to do the daytime battle to get him down.

I would like to feed him around 5pm, then 8pm for the night as I have found the snacking more often does not make him sleep through - he wakes at 3am either way.

I don't bath him at night as it has not worked in the past, and is too hectic with hubbie getting home, cooking tea etc and I find I am too tired at that time of the night.

What do you do and does anyone have any tips? My plunket nurse said he only needs 4 - 5 feeds as he is so big (14lb13oz) so getting this early evening/nighttime routine would be awesome as it is starting to get stressful for hubbie and me.

thanks heaps xxx

nz, 1st baby, due feb 4

Hi,

well firstly I hate to say this, but not all baby's will sleep through the night no matter what you do.

Having said that, my baby has been sleeping through the night since she was about 6 weeks old. The "experts" call sleeping through the night from 12midnight to 5am. (personally I don't) however, we start with Delaney that way. She was a regular 4th hr feeder. She now goes down at 7.30pm and sleeps through to about 8am, sometimes longer and sometimes, she wakes around 7am. She has a quick "dream feed" at 10.30pm to top her up. She hardly wakes up for this, I carefull unwrap her, change her, keeping the room as dark as possible. I don't talk to her, just sssshhhing occansionally. I carry her out to the lounge, which only has the light from the tv and I feed her there. By carring her back down the hall a few minutes after she has finished, she usually burps 2 or 3 times and I carefully put her back to back and go off to bed myself.

Delaney usually feeds 4th hrly still during the day, she is 15 weeks and weighs 5.5kg. She sometimes stretches herself and goes longer, but then she will be looking for a few quick feeds. Basically her routine at the moment, is feed at 8amish, then around 12noon, then again at 4 -4.30pm, and again at 6.30 -7ishpm and then the dream feed at 10.30pm . Once you get them sleeping through the night though, they often will not sleep much during the day. Delaney 'catnaps' her way through the day mostly. She will have about 40mins between 8 -12 midday. And usually has about 2 1/2 hrs after her lunchtime feed. Although over the last 2 days she has gone down for an hour, up for an hour, back down for 1 1/2 hrs. But I pretty much let her dictate what she wants to do as far as sleep goes during the day because she sleeps so well over night. I also give Delaney cooled boiled water during the day, just because she is awake so much, because I figure she must be thirsty even if she isn't hungry. She will often fall asleep in her rocker or on her mat for 10 - 20mins at a time. Hope this helps......cheers

Angie, DE 15/12/05 ,TAS

Hi singingmum,

Have you heard of Tizzie Hall and her book "save our sleep"? I bought this book about 3 weeks ago and have tried to stick to her routine for my 11 week old. She has routines in it from birth to 2 years old.

I have looked up a routine for you. Here is a routine for a baby aged 8 - 10 weeks old.

Feed times
7am, 11am, 3pm, 6.30pm.

Sleep times
8.45am, 12.45pm

Nap
4.30pm

Bedtime
7pm

Dreamfeed
10.30pm

She says:
7am- wake baby and feed even if she last fed at 5.30am. Always start the day on a full stomach

8.45am- wrap baby and put to bed, allow to self settle

11am- wake baby up and feed

12.45- wrap baby and allow to self settle

3pm- feed

4.30pm- nap (40 mins)

5.15pm- bath

6.30pm- feed

7.00pm - bed

I personally dont bath at that time, i like to cook dinner then. So I bath in the morning.

Basically I follow her routine, but I start at 8am and finish the day at 8pm, I find the 7 - 7 thing too earlier for starting the day and finishing the day.

Hope this is of some help tp you!

Jessica

My boy has slept through the night since he was nine weeks old. I have found the having a different routine at night with feeding etc helped a great deal. Shelby has a fed when he wants it, l am not really worried what time his last fed is, l dont think that is greatly important. If its around 8-9pm thats good. He has his bottle first, then a little play on the floor or rocker chair etc. Then he has a bath, a nice deep bath is more relaxing for a baby than a shallow one. Most of the time he has a bath with either myself or his dad, he loves this and he gets tired through kicking and moving around. I use the lavendar bedtime bath soap. Then we read him a book, wrap him then he goes to bed. This works wonderfuly for us. Shelby generally wakes between 7.30 and 8.30am. I am sure that Shelby knows it is time for a long sleep because he can differentiate through the different routine, bath, book etc.

Caron - Mum to Shelby 6 months

I also use Tizzie Halls routine that has been posted above but i have slightly modified it to suit my bub as we are still on 2.5 hour feeds during the day. We feed zac at 6.30 and put him down to sleep at 7pm. At 10.30 regardless, we get him out of bed so he can have a "dream feed". This is where he is still asleep but is on the verge of waking himself up because he is hungry. (He does the sucking motions in his sleep...so cute:) ) When you do this they are so relaxed they take in very little wind, so just sit them upright and rub their back for a couple of minutes to try and let it escape. If you can try not to wake them by changing their nappy. We can have zac fed and back in bed in 15 mins no problem. He then wakes us up at around 2.30am for his night feed and then depending how quickly he goes back to sleep, is up between 5.30 - 6.30am. My bub is bottle fed so me and my partner take turns at doing the night feed, so for me this means only getting up at 2.30 every other night. Zac has been on this routine for a month now and its really working for us. Before that he was all over the place with his night feeds and we were getting up 2 -3 times a night. I hope this helps.

3year old wonderful little helper

Sign in to follow this topic