Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. The slightest noise wakes her!!

The slightest noise wakes her!! Rss

My 9 week old wakes at the tiniest noise..... Because she was such an absolute NIGHTMARE to get to sleep in the first month of her life we were always tip toeing around her and never going into the bedroom once we were sure she was asleep. So now that she goes to sleep a bit easier and sometimes even settles herself without her dummy, i have to avoid my bedroom like the plague once i know she's finally dropped off. If i so much as even make the door creak a little as i go in she's awake. It doesn't seem to be a problem at night, so long as she's in a nice, deep sleep as she does usually sleep through the night. But during the day its really hard because i need to get into my bedroom to put washing away or whatever but i can't - because she wakes up!!!!
I now have the radio playing next to her to try and get her used to a bit more noise but it doesn't seem to be doing anything other than making another rod for my back by always having a radio on!!
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can gradually build up her tolerance towards more noise. Its getting to a point where i don't want to go out anywhere because i know she won't sleep from too much noise - like on Tuesday when everyone was cheering over the football and she kept waking up!!!!!
She has become a real catnapper during the day i don't know if maybe that has something to do with it???

Sarah, mum of Natalie & Jessica

I too had the same problem and i now just use a lullaby CD on repeat every single time she goes to sleep and basically any and every nose sort of blends into the music - even when i drop a saucepan on the tiles she dose not wake up or even if i vaccum outside her door.

This has taught her if that she goes to sleep with noise then she can stay asleep with noise.

She doesn't rely on the music to put her to sleep but i rely on the music to keep her to sleep. I was told that the radio has too many pitches in sound and that in itself could wake her up - but the CD has worked wonders
Hi Sarah,

I had the same problem when my daughter was little, what worked for us, put her in her cot as normal but leave the door open a little bit. Everycouple of days, open it a little more untill it is completely open. She will probable hate it at first but it worked for us, now I can go into Emily's room while she's asleep and put her clothes away or even vacuum right outside her door (she has it closed now) and she doesn't even stir. Give it a go and let me know if it works.

Cassey, NT 2 y/o, 2mth baby

Sign in to follow this topic