Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 9 week old, Sleep Patterns?

9 week old, Sleep Patterns? Lock Rss

I have a 9 week old baby who I am trying to get into a sleep pattern / routine so she sleeps through the night.

At the moment I bath her some time between 5.30pm - 7.30pm and then we fit in dinner for her and us. Then she tends to go to sleep around 9.00pm and wakes for a feed around 12pm. She then sleeps for about 4 1/2 to 6 hours, then wakes for another feed and goes back down for another 2 1/2 hours.

Does this sound like a suitable sleep pattern? Or should I be aiming for something different?

Lisa, WA

Hi there,
What you've got there sounds pretty normal to me, so long as you're happy with how things are going i don't see any problems...
However you could try to introduce a dreamfeed which will eliminate the need for you to get up for the midnight feed.
All it means is that you need to get into a bit of a routine with your little girl.
Basically you feed and bath her around 6-6:30 and make sure she's in bed no later than 7pm. Then you'll feed her again at about 10-10:30 depending on what time you fed her her last feed. Then its straight back to bed to hopefully sleep for a good block. It took a few days for my 10 week old to get used to the dreamfeed (she'd never wake up for it), but now it works an absolute treat! She barely even wakes up anymore but will take a whole feed and then sleep through the night til about 7am. I have to be so consistent with her routine during the day in order for her to have her feed at 6pm and be down by 7pm thats all. It can be a bit annoying having to stick to a routine but she doesn't cope if she's not on a routine. By 6 o'clock she's so grumpy and just wants her bottle and she is absolutely zonked by 7:30 and stays that way until i get her up for another feed. It makes life so much easier (more time for ME in the evenings!!).
But like i said only do the dreamfeed thing if you're looking for a change, if you're happy to keep going the way you are, then good on you - sounds like you're doing a really good job there!

Sarah, mum of Natalie & Jessica

Sign in to follow this topic