Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Wrapping vs. Grobags Rss

Hi there,
I have a 7 week old bub - who loves to be swaddled to sleep - however as things are getting colder I'm worried about the extra blankets etc. that are needed to keep him warm!!
I would like to use a growbag - but don't want to switch from the swaddle just yet??
How do I keep him warm in the swaddle without the extra blankies??? Can I use both at once?
Thanks
DS was a winter baby, and we wrapped him until he was 5 months (by then it was summer and he was getting too sweaty, so we switched to sleeping bags then).

i found the best thing to do when it was cold was to layer his clothing so that if he got too warm i could take a layer off. so he would wear a singlet, a bonds wondersuit or similar item, then a flannelette wrap, usually a sheet and one of those breathable thermal blankets over him, but only tucked in about up to his nipple line so it wasn't too hot for him and a bit of air could circulate. at each feed i would just check to make sure his back/chest didn't feel too warm.

i guess it depends on how cold it gets where you are, i'm in perth and it doesn't usually get overly cold in winter here, usually cold nights are around 4 degrees or thereabouts.

Hi there,
I have a 7 week old bub - who loves to be swaddled to sleep - however as things are getting colder I'm worried about the extra blankets etc. that are needed to keep him warm!!
I would like to use a growbag - but don't want to switch from the swaddle just yet??
How do I keep him warm in the swaddle without the extra blankies??? Can I use both at once?
Thanks

Hi congrats on bubba

I love love grobags!
with our 3yr old didn't find them till she was 12 weeks but we used to wrap a light blanki over the top half of her till she adjsted enough for just the grobag. we live in cold ACT so when i went to bed i would put a cardi over the bag too if I thought it was gonna be cold.

We also used a oil heater in bubs room to keep the chill at bay (and it helps night feeds being more enjoyable)
Congratulations!
My bub was born at the start of summer but the air-conditioning in the hospital was quite cold so the midwives showed me how to wrap her then place a blanket over the top (to almost shoulder height) and tuck it in firmly at the sides of the bassinette. Their wraps were made from flannelette for extra warmth. Personally, I wouldn't use a gro bag until bub gets too big for wrapping as I found wrapping to be such an effective settling technique.
Good luck with your little one smile
I would keep wrapping bubs to 12 weeks then their startle reflex disappears. My DD is 5 months and at the moment she has a singlet, bonds wondersuit, arms no longer wrapped but i wrap her from under her arms around her body and up over her legs then a blanket (short sheeted) so you have extra length over the top and tight but just up to her nipple line too. She will also be having an oil heater in her room. In about a month i will put her in grow bags i bought for 6-18months. I also have a monitor in her room that has the temperature on it so i know how cold it is. Some of the target wondersuits also have a cuff at the end of the arms to roll over bubs hands but sometimes she will suck on them smile
I agree with one of the other posters those thermal blankets are good because they have holes in them so if by chance they go over the baby's head they will still be able to breathe.
I would wrap DS in flanelette wrap and then if it was really cold I would have two thermal blankets folded in half (making four layers) over the top and tucked in really tight.
Hi There,

I might have the perfect solution for you - it's called the Sleepwrap made of 100% cotton. This baby wrap is perfect for babies because it provides the swaddling and cozy feeling - and a safe back sleeping position - and it can be combined with the growbag sleep bag!

This way your 7 week old bub will feel swaddle and cozy thanks to the Sleepwrap and nice and warm with the growbag!

Check out http://www.facebook.com/pages/Safe-Sleep-Solutions/107455215956725?v=photos&ref=ts#!/photo.php?pid=92898&id=107455215956725&fbid=115202015182045 for see a pict of the Sleepwrap + Growbag combo =0)

All the best

Lise G

Hi there,
Thanks
Sign in to follow this topic