Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 6week old silent reflux - NOT SLEEPING

6week old silent reflux - NOT SLEEPING Rss

To all the mothers out there - i am desperate!!! i have a six week old who has been diagnosed with silent reflux - he is now on Losec which has settled the screaming but of course he still does not sleep at any time. Today he slept from 2pm until 5.30pm - now I know that sounds heaps but I can guarantee you that he will have bottle at 9pm and go down until 12pm not due for feed until 1am and then up half way through each feed because of the reflux but does not want to go back to sleep - WHAT CAN I DO TO GET HIM TO SLEEP AT NIGHT - HELP!!!!!!
Sorry no advice, but I was just about to write a very similar post!!!

DS is almost 8 weeks and i feel your pain!!! His reflux is terrible and has flared up the last 2 weeks, we have been trying all the over the counter things, but none seem to work, we have a Dr's appointment tomorrow. My DD had it until 11 weeks, but was nothing at all like DS.

Does the Losec help? I am going mental with all his screaming! Nothing I do works, even having him upright all the time in a sling/harness doesn't seem to help in the evenings.

The only thing that was getting him to sleep for a while was a dummy, but that has become more trouble than it is worth, as now I always have to put the dummy in every time it falls out, so I have gotten rid of it today!

Good luck I really hope someone comes up with some helpful advice. Have you looked on www.reflux.org.au? It does have some useful info.

Hang in there!!!
Hey ladies my tips for a silent reflux baby:

AF formula- give it a few days but does work. If on breast, sorry I don't know? I didn't produce enough milk
Losec
Chiropractor- works miracle!
Slightly elevate bub in cot
You could also put them down on thier tummys and once asleep turn them. My little one was a tummy sleeper, I know it's scary due to SIDS but soon enough they roll on thief tummys while sleeping anyway. This last one is obviously what you are completely comfortable with. I had breathing monitors etc and would check him constantly. This does help them with Thier reflux.

Good luck ladies, I know it's hard but it does get easier.
Our son was on Losec until he was around 7 months old. We found it helped a lot, but he still didn't sleep as well as he might have if he didn't have reflux at all. Another thing we used was a foam wedge "change mat" (plastic covered, with a washable cover over the top). Instead of laying him flat on the floor to play we would put him on that.
Before the Losec we tried Mylanta and tilting his mattress slightly, but neither really worked. Worth a try though!! smile
I really feel your pain and I hope you both find something that works. Reflux usually goes away by itself around the time baby is sitting up by themselves. Until then best wishes and don't give up! smile
My DD had silent reflux. What we found worked well was:

Try and have her upright for bout 30mins after each feed. If need be we put her in her pram or her bouncer so she could fall asleep but still be upright. Many nights she slept in her bouncer beside out bed just so she would sleep!
Raise the end of the cot
We let bub sleep on her tummy during the day so we could keep an eye on her. Apparently to can get 'safe sleepers' that you can use if you want bub to sleep on their tummy but I don't know enough about them.
We used to take out DD for lots of drives in the middle of the night. She always slept well in the car, I think it was the movement of the car and her being upright.

At the end of the day you do whatever you can just to get some sleep! Good luck!
I'm feeling your pain all too well. My DS is now 9months he had severe silent reflux and colic and went undiagnosed for 4.5 months until i saw a paed I went to GP's but he wasn't given enough medication for anything to change. I would recommend to see a Paed for reflux. the paed put him on 20mg of losec (has just been weaned off) and merbentyl syrup (just for the first few days). The only way I survived the first 4.5months was co sleeping, a hammock, breastfeeding to sleep and sleep myself. My DS wouldn't sleep at all during the day he would be up for 8 hrs straight most of the time and at night he would be up every hour feeding. So co sleeping was the only way I managed, I soon learnt to sleep while he fed. But only in a safe co sleeping environment would I recommend this. The hammock helped but it can cause a rod for your own back however I was desperate and I didn't care for the consequences. Sometimes we bounced him in the hammock for an hour for him to only sleep 45mins. I did some test feeds at plunket and found that after not feeding him for 3hrs he would only drink 30mls of breastmilk. Because its sore for them to swallow with silent reflux my DS would only take small amounts but very frequently so this also meant very little sleep. By the time medication kicked in I had so many habits to break I didn't want to change anything straight off as I wanted to make sure with the paed that he wasn't in anymore pain before changing our sleeping and feeding habits and that was at 6 months. Then I enlisted the help of Dorothy Waide a "baby whisperer". She helped me break all our habits and get DS into a routine all done via email. Unfortunately it did take time for all this to happen however you have found out early on your baby has silent reflux. If you are breastfeeding my paed eliminated certain foods from my diet (not going dairy free)cocoa, tea, coffee, banana, avocado, green apple, pineapple and a few others. My DS is better now and actually sleeps for 3 to 4 hours during the day and wakes up once through the night at 4am for a feed except when teething. I so relieved now however I'm still recovering from it all and its put me off going back for round 2. I hope you manage to get it under control a lot earlier than me, all the best and PM me if you have any questions. smile
My DS2 had silent reflux...what a nightmare. Sleeping was a big issue for him too. Things that helped us were:

- Increasing dosage of Losec and giving it twice a day.
- Elevating the head of the cot with a couple of bricks.
- sleeping bub on his tummy. We used a movement monitor to sense his breathing.
- Carrying him in the Baby Bjorn as he would sleep in this because it was upright.

It is hard at the moment but bub will grow out of it, hopefully soon...My DS2 is now 9 mths and has outgrown his reflux.
Update: I went to the Dr today and DS has started Losec, couldn't believe how quickly it worked! Will see if it helps him sleep longer. Can't believe our house is actually quiet, well for the last hour or so anyway!!
I can't believe he actually spat his dummy out to fall asleep YAY!

Krosby1975 are you swaddling him at all? I found early on that DS settled better being swaddled, we have a "wrap me up" from Love me baby, it is fantastic! I was wrapping him with a blanket, but he would always get his arms out and wake up!

Hope you can find something that helps!!!!
Glad that you've had some luck with the losec. Not sure if you know but you can have it made up as a medicine rather than tablets and it's much easier to give that way. Also as your bub grows if they become unsettled then their dose needs to be increased.
I son was brreastfeeding every 3 hrs day and night. The evenings were worse as between the hours of 3pm and 10pm he would feed every 2hrs. I suspected reflux (my daughter who is now 12 years old had constant reflux). At 8 weeks I saw his pediatrician who advised to try 1ml of Mylanta no more then 5 times a day as required.

That evening he was so restless so I gave him the Mylanta once that evening and what a difference. He slept for 5 hours during the night. His Dr mentioned the reason he is feeding so often and is unsettled is due to the heartburn. Therefore him feeding soothed his reflux.

He is 12 weeks tomorrow and is so much better and sleeping now 5-7hrs during the evening. Ocassionaly he still has Mylanta but no more then once a week.

Glad that you've had some luck with the losec. Not sure if you know but you can have it made up as a medicine rather than tablets and it's much easier to give that way. Also as your bub grows if they become unsettled then their dose needs to be increased.

Thanks, my Dr only made a prescription for the liquid, but it is very expensive. Just out of interest how do you give them the tablets? Dissolve it in boiled water?

I son was brreastfeeding every 3 hrs day and night. The evenings were worse as between the hours of 3pm and 10pm he would feed every 2hrs. I suspected reflux (my daughter who is now 12 years old had constant reflux). At 8 weeks I saw his pediatrician who advised to try 1ml of Mylanta no more then 5 times a day as required.

That evening he was so restless so I gave him the Mylanta once that evening and what a difference. He slept for 5 hours during the night. His Dr mentioned the reason he is feeding so often and is unsettled is due to the heartburn. Therefore him feeding soothed his reflux.

He is 12 weeks tomorrow and is so much better and sleeping now 5-7hrs during the evening. Ocassionaly he still has Mylanta but no more then once a week.

How did you get your DS to go longer between feeds? Or do you think it will settle over time once he has been on the meds a little longer? As my DS feeds every 2 hours, even since we started meds, but he has only been on meds for 3 days now, so I guess I should just wait smile
Sign in to follow this topic