Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Using a dummy while breastfeeding.

Using a dummy while breastfeeding. Rss

Hi just a quick question..
Is it bad to give bub a dummy while breastfeeding.
Does this confuse bub and make it harder to establish breastfeeding?
My son was bottle fed so he was fine with the bottle and the dummy.
Just wasnt sure about the breast and dummy.

Thankyou
I know plenty of breastfed bubs who have had dummies and had no problems.

All my kids have had dummies, and I breastfed each of them for more than 12mths!!
There definitely was no confusion, but I will add that only my son was given a dummy early on when breastfeeding was being established, DD1 had a dummy when she was about 5wks old, and DD2 started using one when she was around 10wks old.
We haven't had any troubles with bf and the dummy, so whatever works I say!

My son Max had no issues with dummies, either cheery-drop or orthodontic NUK... Kids are pretty cluey.

In fact, if you think about it, it may help feeding, giving them extra sucking practice (Nurse told me sometimes it does)
Alright well thanks everyone thats great ive always been a fan of dummy's lol
I dont get then why midwives are so against dummys i thought thats the reason why they dont like dummy's because they can cause confusion but obviously they dont.
I am a breastfeeder who doesnt use dummies. I dont think that breastfeeders who use dummies are 'wrong' but it something that I chose not to do.

In the early days of BF especially it can cause problems with milksuppy and therefore hinder BFing.

How it does that is your baby will naturally increase your milk supply by fussing and wanting extra drinks, this in turn tells your body that it needs to make more milk. This happens during growth spurts etc.

When a mum has a dummy avalible then the baby can be pacified at the times when it really important to be sucking on the breast and stimualting milk supply. This in turn reduces the bodies response and it doesnt make the milk required to sustain the baby.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

I am a breastfeeder who doesnt use dummies. I dont think that breastfeeders who use dummies are 'wrong' but it something that I chose not to do.

In the early days of BF especially it can cause problems with milksuppy and therefore hinder BFing.

How it does that is your baby will naturally increase your milk supply by fussing and wanting extra drinks, this in turn tells your body that it needs to make more milk. This happens during growth spurts etc.

When a mum has a dummy avalible then the baby can be pacified at the times when it really important to be sucking on the breast and stimualting milk supply. This in turn reduces the bodies response and it doesnt make the milk required to sustain the baby.

Thanks thats great info.
I might try to delay introducing the dummy untill we have breatfeeding down.
My lactation consultant advised dummies are ok, but did recommend the Cherry shaped ones. The orthodontic ones flat and nothing like a nipple so can be confusing.

I use the Happy Baby brand on her recommendation and we've had no probs BFing here.

Thanks thats great info.
I might try to delay introducing the dummy untill we have breatfeeding down.

Just take a dummy to hospital with you. Creates no confusion whatsoever, (must be an old wives tale). I think the bub will work out pretty quick that no milk comes out of the dummy, so where's the confusion???

(I didn't take one to hospital with first bub, as I was afraid of what the nurses might think. My baby screamed her lungs out, and refused to sleep. As soon as we got home, I bought a dummy, and she slept through from 10 days of age, breastfed for 12 months, with bottles with expressed milk every now and again. My second bub.... dummy was given immediately after first feed. Slept wonderfully immediately, and breast fed for 14 months).

Good luck

Eve75

I am using a dummy with 8wk old DD and she is BF fine. I started using it at about a month, because she was driving me insane and also because she has reflux and wind pain... I was told often babies want to suck when they are uncomfortable, but feeding when they are not actually hungry and just in need of sucking just adds to the problem.

The person who was talking about milk supply is right though. I only use the dummy when I know for sure that she has a full belly and nothing else wrong with her. Babies cry and fuss to communicate a need and I don't think you should just shove a dummy in their mouth to suppress their crying when they may need something, even just attention. I find the dummy excellent when DD is in pain from reflux/colic or when she is overtired and sooky - she doesn't like being held and comforted when she is like this and it helps her go to sleep. And then, lets face it, sometimes YOU need that baby to just shut up for 10 minutes or you might end up in a mental institution. So I say, use the dummy if you want, but use sensibly

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I am using a dummy with 8wk old DD and she is BF fine. I started using it at about a month, because she was driving me insane and also because she has reflux and wind pain... I was told often babies want to suck when they are uncomfortable, but feeding when they are not actually hungry and just in need of sucking just adds to the problem.

The person who was talking about milk supply is right though. I only use the dummy when I know for sure that she has a full belly and nothing else wrong with her. Babies cry and fuss to communicate a need and I don't think you should just shove a dummy in their mouth to suppress their crying when they may need something, even just attention. I find the dummy excellent when DD is in pain from reflux/colic or when she is overtired and sooky - she doesn't like being held and comforted when she is like this and it helps her go to sleep. And then, lets face it, sometimes YOU need that baby to just shut up for 10 minutes or you might end up in a mental institution. So I say, use the dummy if you want, but use sensibly

Agree. Dummy for sleep only. Then it is actually associated with sleep time. So, book, dummy, then basinette/cot, was our sleep time ritual.

Eve75

Sign in to follow this topic