Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 9wks, barely sleeping at all in the day

9wks, barely sleeping at all in the day Lock Rss

Hi there,
I am slowly going insane (what mother isn't). My 9wk old just won't sleep in the day. He will go to sleep, but then sleep for maybe 2mins, before something/anything wakes him. So I am constantly resettling. He probably has one hour of happy awake time, I feel awful. So as well as him screaming I have a toddler who wants/needs my attention (25mths).
I have seen a doctor who said colic, try gripe water etc... done that, been to the chiro, no luck, queried reflux, won't treat him because he is large 95% for weight, and gaining (also said only "neurotic mothers" and babies failing to thrive would get meds).
I know I shouldn't complain too much because he sleeps well at night, he just he so unhappy in the day.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Wow. 95%: what a chubba! smile

What about wearing him in a sling or carrier?
My DS1 wouldnt sleep for naps but could do 3hours at a time asleep in our hugabub! You wont be able to shower but you can pretty much do most else.

Good luck!

Wow. 95%: what a chubba! smile

What about wearing him in a sling or carrier?
My DS1 wouldnt sleep for naps but could do 3hours at a time asleep in our hugabub! You wont be able to shower but you can pretty much do most else.

Good luck!

Will try our carrier,
Thanks

Hi there,
I am slowly going insane (what mother isn't). My 9wk old just won't sleep in the day. He will go to sleep, but then sleep for maybe 2mins, before something/anything wakes him. So I am constantly resettling. He probably has one hour of happy awake time, I feel awful. So as well as him screaming I have a toddler who wants/needs my attention (25mths).
I have seen a doctor who said colic, try gripe water etc... done that, been to the chiro, no luck, queried reflux, won't treat him because he is large 95% for weight, and gaining (also said only "neurotic mothers" and babies failing to thrive would get meds).
I know I shouldn't complain too much because he sleeps well at night, he just he so unhappy in the day.
Suggestions?
Thanks

i was like i was just reading about myself lol..
I now have a 3 month old DD and a 2 1/2 yr old DS and for the first few months my DD would only sleep when my son slept and it was killing both of us, all i can say is it definately passes as u get into a routine now my DD is the best baby she feeds every 3 hours sleeping every 1.5 to 2 hours and very easy to settle! so hang in there do ur best and it will get better.
and also my dd for at least the first 2 months we were convinced she had reflux or something it would take us about 3 hours everynight to settle her and she would just scream her head off but thankfully thats over lol
My DD was also 95th percentile lol but she dropped down to 75th thankgod lol shes small but a chunker...
What about a dummy / pacifier? Might help baby get to sleep or even if not sleeping, atleast be able to comfort self. 9 weeks is still young, and plenty of time to break the habit smile
Thanks ladies,

Slightly better day today, but had the luxury of DF home! Have a dummy, he will only use it on the odd occassion, but it is fantastic!!! (Pre-children, I hated dummies!)

Thanks ladies,

Slightly better day today, but had the luxury of DF home! Have a dummy, he will only use it on the odd occassion, but it is fantastic!!! (Pre-children, I hated dummies!)

I realise your bub is quiet a bit older now but just wondering how u are going?

Im in a very similar situation atm with 8 week old DD and 2 1/2yr old DS, iys driving me insane!

Feel i shouldnt complain as she sleeps great at night but still 12 hours of day time feels never ending with a baby that wont sleep and wont let anyone else hold her.she feeds every 2 hours n half the time wants to use me as a dummy in between (she very rarely will use an actual dummy) i feel bad for DS as im always stuck on the couch feeding her and if i do put her down for a little while and shes happy im madly showering/cleaning/enjoying 5mins too myself!

I realise your bub is quiet a bit older now but just wondering how u are going?

Im in a very similar situation atm with 8 week old DD and 2 1/2yr old DS, iys driving me insane!

Feel i shouldnt complain as she sleeps great at night but still 12 hours of day time feels never ending with a baby that wont sleep and wont let anyone else hold her.she feeds every 2 hours n half the time wants to use me as a dummy in between (she very rarely will use an actual dummy) i feel bad for DS as im always stuck on the couch feeding her and if i do put her down for a little while and shes happy im madly showering/cleaning/enjoying 5mins too myself!

Hi there,

I can happily say that it wasn't much longer after I posted this that DS started to settle down. He started consistently taking the dummy, I started drinking Camomile tea (BF bub) and started using infacol. Not sure which was the biggest influence on him calming but the combination worked. I really noticed if I didn't drink the tea...

Good luck, it does get better smile

Hi there,

I can happily say that it wasn't much longer after I posted this that DS started to settle down. He started consistently taking the dummy, I started drinking Camomile tea (BF bub) and started using infacol. Not sure which was the biggest influence on him calming but the combination worked. I really noticed if I didn't drink the tea...

Good luck, it does get better smile

Glad to hear it smile

Hopefully my little miss will be the same, she has her moments of being a content bub and i know its normal for them to want to be cuddled by mum all the time and i do enjoy it most of the time but makes life hard when u have another kid to look after hey!
Thanks for ur reply smile x

I am in the same boat - except my DS is 3 months and so big that I just cannot carry him around for any length of time. We are gradually working on getting him to go to sleep in the cot instead of on me, he would always wake up just after being put in (completely unconscious!). Glad to hear from you both that I am not the only one!
Do you have a swing at home? my DD loved her swing and would drift off to sleep in that if I couldn't carry her around all day. I would put her in a sling a lot too. Take heart, they will grow out of it, but it probably feels like that's a long way away right now~

Sign in to follow this topic