Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Cat Napping and Dummy Dependance

Cat Napping and Dummy Dependance Lock Rss

Hi,

My 11 week old has all of a sudden started to cat nap during the day and only sleeps for 10-20minutes at a time. He spits his dummy and starts to cry. It takes me a couple of minutes to put his dummy back in and re-settle each time. Prior to this he was sleeping well at 2hrs a time three times during the day and only waking once during the night.

Any ideas? I would like to wean him off the dummy but I have received conflicting advice about this.

Thanks!
Hi Kristen,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my 9 week old. He used to be a brilliant sleeper during the day, even allowing me to have a sleep, but getting him to sleep during the day now is such hard work. Sometimes he goes straight down, and other times wakes up screaming after 20 minutes and will only sleep in my arms or on my chest. Is he on a routine or are you demand feeding? I was trying to stick to a 4 hourly routine, but just today have started to feed on demand more to see if that makes a difference.

He has just started to sleep through the night (well for the last couple of nights from 10ish-6.30) so I guess I can't really complain too much, but it is frustrating when they won't sleep during the day when you are trying to rest yourself or get things done.

What I've said probably hasn't been much help, but I do sympathise with you, and will let you know if I come up with any magic solutions. smile

Hi Kristen,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my 9 week old. He used to be a brilliant sleeper during the day, even allowing me to have a sleep, but getting him to sleep during the day now is such hard work. Sometimes he goes straight down, and other times wakes up screaming after 20 minutes and will only sleep in my arms or on my chest. Is he on a routine or are you demand feeding? I was trying to stick to a 4 hourly routine, but just today have started to feed on demand more to see if that makes a difference.

He has just started to sleep through the night (well for the last couple of nights from 10ish-6.30) so I guess I can't really complain too much, but it is frustrating when they won't sleep during the day when you are trying to rest yourself or get things done.

What I've said probably hasn't been much help, but I do sympathise with you, and will let you know if I come up with any magic solutions. smile

Hi Amanda,

Thanks, glad to hear I am not the only one! Lucky you he is sleeping through the night. Lachlan still wakes twice a night for a feed. I am demand feeding but roughly every three hours....
My 9 week old boy is only sleeping for half hour at a time during the day. I try to resettle but it rarely works. If he gets hysterical I pick him up and he falls asleep straight away in my arms. Please let me know if you get your bubs to resettle, I'm out of ideas???
My 9 week old boy is only sleeping for half hour at a time during the day. I try to resettle but it rarely works. If he gets hysterical I pick him up and he falls asleep straight away in my arms. Please let me know if you get your bubs to resettle, I'm out of ideas???
Krys G wrote:

I am so glad I am not the only one. I would also like to know if this is just a faze that they go through.?
both my DD & DS went through stages like this. I was extremely lucky & they were both sleeping at least 8hrs a night quite (DD at 6wks & DS at 4wks) & by 2mths they were both sleeping 7pm-7am from 2mths.
(DD had a dream feed at 11pm, but DS wouldn't take a bottle unless he was hungry)

Now I know this may cause some to disagree, but at around the 4-5mth mark, we had to do CC. They were both reliant on the dummy & it was worse taking it off them. I waited till DH had a few days off cause I was way to soft & he did it. Within about 5 days they were both sleeping well in the day & sleeping through at night.

I know some don't agree with CC, but it worked for us. We would leave them for 5mins before going in & always restarted the clock if they had a break in the crying. However, if they became hysterical (can't think of a better word to use) we would go in striaight away.
I could never do it on my own, i needed to have DH there to support me. So maybe if you do decide to use this method, have someone there to do it with you cause it's tough.
Sign in to follow this topic