Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Day Stay Program Rss

Hi.

I am just wondering if any of you could give me some insight into what goes on during a typical session at a day stay clinic.
I have booked into one for next Monday with my daughter, as she wakes 2-3 times a night still and catnaps through the day, but have no idea what to expect.

Thanks, Jodie smile

Mum to Hailey (5.6.00) & Brooklyn (14.2.06)

Hi Jodie,
I had a day stay on monday and I have to say that at the time I was horrified but it is the best thing i could have done.
It does involve letting them cry but you have complete control and you have someone talking you through every step and explaining the what's and why's.
They dont tell you not to go to your baby, but you will soon realise that going in every second is only making matters worse, you think they are wild before you go to them but walking in makes them angrier when they realise you arent going to pick them up and take them out of the nursery! I only picked my baby up twice before I found that when the initial calm she showed dissapeared when she realised i wasnt taking her out of the nursery she lost the plot even worse than before I touched her. So it didnt help me or her feel better if i picked her up.
It took everything in me not to give in but I had asked for help and had to be prepared to at least try the solution they were offering even though I stood outside and cried too.
You'll need to think about it first,have an open mind and really commit yourself to the whole process.It will feel like someone tearing your heart out but it only has to happen once before you will feel confident to keep at it.
Also they will most likely tell you to at least be willing to give it a couple of days to see if it works. It really does depend on how important getting bub to self settle is to you.I didnt really have a choice because I have a bad back and I just couldnt continue rocking and walking her to sleep especially when you i was at it for 1 1/2 hrs at a time 5 or 6 times a day.
Its not easy but it is really worth it in the end and it really is for their own benefit no matter how they protest, I just tried to think of it like immunisation they hate it, it hurts both of you but in the long run it is priceless.

I found by letting it run its course in the first session and actually see it work I was more inclined to do it again, if I'd given up after 30mins the first time (even though the nurse said I could stop the session and try again next time she got tired) that i would have been convinced that it wasnt working and probably would never have had the boost to do it again.

I hope some of this helps you, nobody told me what i was in for but then I dont know if I still would have done it had I known.

Good luck, im happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Amanda,Perth,nearly 10 Month baby Girl

Sign in to follow this topic