Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Can't put her down Rss

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice with my 6 week old daughter and putting her down to sleep.

The problem is that she falls asleep very easily in my arms or on the breast but as soon as I put her down she wakes up crying.

This goes on all day and with a 3 year old toddler to also care for I am really beginning to struggle.

The odd thing is that she is great at night. She wakes every 3 hours for a feed, but then goes straight back into her cot and to sleep without any rocking or comforting.

I don't know what it is during the day that is different ?

I have avoided using a dummy but perhaps that is a mistake. I did buy one but when I mentioned it at the hospital after Ella was born the nurse told me not to use it (hospital policy).

Any advice ?

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

Hi Jaspers mum,

Do you wrap her? She might feel more secure in her cot if she is cosily wrapped! You could start a bed routine of wrapping, a little top up to get sleepy, then into bed for a sleep!

Just an idea, i hope it helps!
Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Well Tepe, she's wrapped and in her cot asleep.

Hopefully for a good long sleep. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Therese,

When you put her down, if she starts to wake up, try to pat her with a fast pace and say 'shhh'. Sometimes this works wink

Michelle, mum to James born 15/9/03

Hi Therese
I highly recomend visiting the Child Health Services Clinic nearest you as I had the same problem and the clinic really helped me (and it's free!).
The number for Brisbane is: 3847 0902
Hope this helps smile
Hi Jaspers Mum,

My 4 month old was exactly the same up until recently. He would fall asleep while in my arms or while feeding and once i put him down he would wake and realise he wasn't being held and start crying.

I too didn't want to give him the dummy but unfortunately I have had to so then when I put him down he's still sucking therefore thinks your still there!

I have just started doing something different and feed him and then regardless of if he fell asleep or not i then wrap him and give him the dummy. It has been alot of help because before I could'nt get much stuff done as I held him while he slept.

Maybe this might help. Good luck I know it's hard.
There is a great book called Sleep Tight which has helped me with my 3 week old who was crying constantly through the afternoon and not sleeping. I also use a dummy and have done so from day three and it has really helped.
Hi Therese,

My little one (5 weeks) is the same thru the day - falls asleep easily in my arms but cries as soon as laid down. Even do the patting & shhhh technique. We have found that it usually means he has wind pains that have to get out before he will fall properly asleep. I initially thought he was still hungry as he kept mouthing for a feed but the clinic nurse said bubs do this when they have wind and feeding just makes it worse, but water (tepid) in a bottle will help.

good luck

Wendy, 1st bub Connor b.26/Oct

Thanks everyone for some really great advice.

Cheers to you all

Therese

I did the same thing with my little one. I used to let her fall asleep in my arms and would then sit there with her in my arms why she slept, crazy i know but it was a nice way to bond with her. The reason she wakes up when you put her down is she becomes aware she is'nt where she went to sleep and your not there. I now wrap my little one and have now given her a dummy something i said i wouldn't do But it is only for when she is to go to sleep. I think they say no to dummies in hospital because they can interfere with establishing breatfeeding. Our new sleep routine is wrapping, dummy, rocking (now trying to stop rocking) Good luck do what ever works for you
Hi jaspers mum,
my 6week old boy is exactly the same, sleeps like an angel at night but during the day i cant put him down ive tried eveything a dummy, wrapping him up tight, warm baths and sometimes putting him in his room to cry to try and wear him out but nothing seems to work! i was just wondering if you've tried anything new??

Sarah, SA, 6week baby

Hi Sarah,

As you can see from all of the postings we are not alone.

I tried to give Ella a dummy with no success, same with wrapping, what has worked though is sleeping her on her tummy and perserverance.

Everytime she wakes, I pick her up and rock her a bit more then straight back to the cot leaving a hand on her tummy or back. It was taking about 3 goes, but now she goes straight away.

If after 3 tries she still didn't go down I would leave her up and play with her for a while until she was ready for another go.

Definately sleeping on her tummy was the trick, but it did take a few days of putting her on her back for a few sleeps, then tummy until she was only sleeping on her tummy.

I know that your not supposed to sleep babies on their tummys but I spoke to my doctor about it and whilst he would not recommend going against SIDS guidelines, his 3 children were all tummy sleepers.

You can read tummy sleeping comments elsewhere in this forum if your interested.

I feel for you and hope that you also find a answer.

Please let me know how you go.

Good luck

Therese

Sign in to follow this topic