Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. sleeps better on stomach

sleeps better on stomach Lock Rss

my son is 4 weeks old tomorrow, and only seems to sleep better during the day on his stomach. He will not sleep at all during the day otherwise, and just cry and cry. I usually lie him on a lambswool on the loungeroom floor and it brings me peace. I have been putting him to bed at night on his back and in his bassinet, and he seems to sleep ok. Is this all still a sids risk?? I keep a constant eye on him and keep checking him, but I still can't help but worry....
any replies would be appreciated...

have you tried him on his side. other than that, sorry i cant help. and you already know the risks.

my baby is only now sleeping on his stomach, since we got rid of the dummy 2 weeks ago. but b4 that he slept on his side
I would just have to say that there are risks that we all know about and although no one is really aware of it, you don't know what it's like to loose a baby until it actually happens to you. It's a choice you've got to make.

Alice xox

Lilly,6/ Paige,14mnths & my angel Maddy-SIDS

My youngest was like this also. I used to sleep her wedged on her side. She was a very chucky baby and used to wake herself up all the time. She slept much better on her side. She slept right next to me in a side car situation so I was happy taking the risk. I started sleeping her on her back when she was 3 mths as she could wriggle quite a distance at that age and I wasnt happy with her staying on her side. Here started 6 mths of dreadfull sleeping, waking upwards of 5 times a night on a bad on for 1-2 hrs at a time!! She finally started sleeping better when she learnt to roll at 9.5 mths (yes you read right, she was crawling and cruising before she learnt to roll) Since then she sleeps on her side or tummy, I hardly ever catch her on her back.

So after all that LOL My advice is , yes it is a SIDS risk, but if you are happy taking that risk and are minimising it by being present when he is asleep then it is really up to you.

Mumma to DD1 Jan 04 and DD2 Mar 06

Hi there.

My 2nd child is just over 3months old and I have found the same thing! After weeks of struggling to settle her during the day on her back or side I was resorting to putting her in the baby sling as that was the only way she would sleep. It was only when giving her tummy time one day I noticed she was falling asleep! Since then I have been sleeping her on her tummy during the day (but like you checking her often) and she goes down on her back at night and sleeps well. I'm off to a cranial osteopath tomorrow to make sure there is nothing strange going on with her and will let you know how I go.

From the other mum's I've talked to I don't think anyone is going to say it's fine to sleep them on their tums due to the SIDS factor so it is always up to you. Though it's nice to know other people are in the same boat.
My son was 3 months old yesterday, he has slept on his stomach from 1 week of age. He hated sleeping on his back even at the hospital. I do have him in a cot in my bedroom with me so I can keep an eye on him. My two older children were also tummy sleepers, they are now 17 and 15 years old. I tried on several occassions to put him on his back to sleep but to no avail. He settles straight away when I put him on his tummy. I think if your baby is happy then let him sleep on his tummy. I know it's hard not to worry.....best of luck.

Karen, mum of Brayden born 21 Nov 2007

Sign in to follow this topic