Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Has anyone been to tresillian or any sleep schools?

Has anyone been to tresillian or any sleep schools? Rss

I have a 3 month old , who sleeps great at night but doesn't sleep much durning the day and won't go to sleep on his own, I have started the habit of laying down with him on our bed and he slowly cries himself to sleep in my arms with me patting him.As I realise this is only getting worse I have decided to go to tresillian centre for the weeks stay . Does anyone have any experiences, advice or knowledge about them? as I am a bit concerned about the whole contol settling thing, I have tried it a bit at home but I just cant seem to get him to even stop crying whilst in the the cot, so then we both end up in tears.

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi Jazziesmum,

I went to Tresillian for 1 weeks stay when my little boy was 9 weeks old. I was like you and was really worried about the controlled crying but it turned out to be great. They do use controlled crying but its up to you how long you want to let your baby cry. They usually suggest 3 munuites and then go and comfort (you don't pick the baby up just put your hands on them or pat them) they are also big on wrapping the babies. It helped me so much and gives you much more confidence.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

wendy, blue mts,

Hi Wen,
I'm interested in finding out what they do. We wrap our son and have now started with resettling him when he wakes instead of feeding him. When we resettle him we don't pick him up unless he needs rewrapping but instead of patting him we kind of rock him with our hand while he's laying there and we do this until he falls asleep again. Are we doing this right?

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

Hi flinstones,
We have just returned and yes they do exactly what you are doing as well, they also try and leave the room before the baby is completly asleep so they eventually learn to go off by themselves.
I don't think their is a right and wrong way if it works for now and they stay in their cot go with it.

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi Wen,
They did exactly what you said they would and it was great for us he is now a wrapped baby who sleeps in his cot with some settling for 3 sleeps a day plus the big bonus is, they say sleep promotes sleep and he is also sleeping through the night at only 3 months HURRAY.
Thanks for your advice is was great to hear before I left.

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hmm,
Sounds like I need to work on my son's day sleeps:-)
How long does he sleep for during the day sleeps?

hi flinstones,
he sleeps for two 40 minutes and one hour and a half but as everything it can vary but thats what I aim for If he has only sleeped for 40 minuted I try and resettle him for 10-30 minutes if that doesn't work then I get him up.
They aim for them to sleep the full 1-2 hours but he is very alert and I have accepted that , so they just said to keep persisting in resettling for 30 min and see how it goes from there.
Hope that helps

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi jazziesmum,
That's what my son sleeps for as well though I don't always get a 1 and a half session unfortunately. But with us doing the sleep training this week he has been - just got to keep it up. I must admit I don't try for such a long period (i.e. resettling him) I give up a lot sooner. Looks like I need to work on my patience:)
By the way, he only got up once last night and when he did have a winge he managed to resettle himself - looks like I'm getting somewhere - and boy it does feel good. I guess he'll drop that one feed when he's ready. Here's hoping that it continues. How's your son going?

Hi flinstones
My son is doing great his sleeps are getting longer during the day , and tonight for the first time he settled himself to sleep.
I am the same by the end of the day resettling is not my favourite word, and I do give up after a while as well. Your right patience is the key word , anyway if we stick with it, it will pay off, please say Im right?

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi jazziesmum,
You're right I'm sure it will pay off. As it turns out his sleep patterns this week has done a total back flip. But, he has now started to sleep more during the day all up approx 4 hours but at night he won't resettle at all. Last night we had a much better night. He resettled easily and only fed once, a relief after all the tough nights we had this week.
I think he must be changing his sleep pattern??? I'll just have to keep being consistent and persistant and I'll see what happens. I'm just letting him take the lead and I'll see where we end up.

Sign in to follow this topic