Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Breast Pumps? Lock Rss

Hi

I purchaed an Avent hand-held pump and have had no luck with it. It just doesnt have sufficient suction. Expressing by hand is soooo hard. It took me and hour to express 100mls and my boobs felt like they were going to falloff.

Can anybody recommend a good pump. I'm really despreate as my hubby and I have a wedding to go to and I am hoping to leave Ella with my mum.

Thanks in advance

Melissa
My suggestion would be to go to your local chemist and hire an electric pump (or if a good friend has one ask to borrow it). Some peope find it impossible to use pumps as they cannot relax enough

Here are a few tips that may help

Go into a warm room
get comfy
perhaps use a heat pack across your chest first to encorouge a good let down
if possible cuddle bubs whilst trying to express or
have a pic of bub with you
don't stress about how much milk you are getting out

Hope that helps.

Amanda and Oscar (22 Feb 05)

Hi Melissa, the easiest way I found to express milk via pump is to pump while I feed bubs on the other breast. Granted it can be a bit tricky at first to juggle the 2 but now I've got it down pat and I find I get let down a whole lot easier because bubs has initiated it on the other breast. I get about 100mls in 10mins or so this way, where as when I'd try expressing by myself I was lucky to get 30-40mls in half an hour (and that's when I would give up).
Give that a try
I to have the avent hand held, at first i could only get 20 mls then 40 and now with bub on the other side 100 mls is no worries. i find the morning is best and if i cant have bub with me i put a video on of her, or i try visualising the milk spurting from my nipples and deep relaxing breaths work best. Goodluck don't give up, they are so portable and handy...

new2this

I to have the avent hand held, at first i could only get 20 mls then 40 and now with bub on the other side 100 mls is no worries. i find the morning is best and if i cant have bub with me i put a video on of her, or i try visualising the milk spurting from my nipples and deep relaxing breaths work best. Goodluck don't give up, they are so portable and handy...

I wish I could use a pump to express...I never get more than one stream of milk at a time...1 hour will give me 10mls if im lucky sad no luck with electric pump either
I have a Medela electric pump and it worked wonders for me. I would fill a bottle up in no time. It was quite pricey, I did buy it in South Africa. I'm not sure how much they cost here.
I used a hand held pump and I found too hard to use while bub was on the other breast so I used to look at a photo of bub while doing it. Thats seemed to help. Plus it does take a little to get used too.
the cheapest place i found to buy an electric pump was
www.nursingangel.com.au
they have free postage for orders over $100 and mine arrive the next day in the post!
Hi, I had to express for 8 weeks as DD was premmie. Initially I used the Avent electric pump, but as it was a single pump I changed to Ameda purely yours as it was a double pump, It was expensive but alot quicker. The hospital uses the Medala and they work really well and are quick too.
Like pps have said, I'd try to rent an electric pump if I were you. I borrowed/hired one through the breast feeding clinic at the public hospital my bub was born at. It didn't actually cost me anything, but I understand there's often a nominal fee of around $20 a week. I know that a lot of pharmacies rent out electric breast pumps too, and that may be the way to go as getting one through the hospital could take a lot of time and the cheaper ones you can purchase are very inefficient (thought definitely better than hand powered pumps, you could still end up spending half an hour on each side).

If you want some tips for using the pump, start on the setting that gives you shorter more frequent sucks and then switch to longer stronger ones. Have it at the highest setting you can comfortably tolerate (if you set it too high, you'll hurt your nipples, also while it's faster to finish expressing at higher settings you tend to get a little less milk). When the flow slows down, return to the first setting to see if you can stimulate a second 'let down' of milk.

Hope you find something that works well for you, and enjoy the wedding smile
www.expressthebest.co.nz

cheapest in NZ for excellent quality!
Sign in to follow this topic