Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Spilling on breastmilk only....help!

Spilling on breastmilk only....help! Lock Rss

My 10week old has reflux (which is being treated). He is a real spewer, after almost every feed, and even inbetween feeds he will spill (more of a power-chuck!). We have been giving him a night bottle of formula for the last 3weeks or so now, and he even spills on that. over the last few days we have tried the Karicare thickened formula (only 1-2 bottles a day) and it has been working wonders! brings up his wind fine, and dosent spill. I really want to continue breastfeeding, but it is really hard when he is contantly spilling! im really tempted to ween him fully onto the thickened formula, but i feel guilty about it!
he isint loosing any weight, hes actually gaining pretty fast!so the spilling isint doing any harm, its just really stressful!
what should i do?
(i hope this made sense lol)
hey!
dont ever feel guilty. do what is best for mum and bub and that is what makes u both happy. If neither of u r happy dont continue breastfeeding just cause u feel u have to. You have given him a good dose of bmilk. I had to give it up with ash and everyone made me feel so guilty that it eventually turned into pnd. Once we were on formula we were boht much happier and if i had to give it up with D i wouldnt hesitate

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

You have made a great start. You r trying everything u can to do what is best for you and bubs. Go with your own instincts. If u can manage it you might be one of the lucky ones who can breast and bottle feed. He is your baby abd u do what u can manage and that will be the best for him. And as long as he is gaining weight and has wet nappies then u r both doing a great job. Keep up the good work mum.

mumto2

Hi,
i have an 8 week old girl who also has reflux. We switched her to Karicare AR (thickened) when she was 3 weeks old to protect my sanity ( and amke sure she was getting enough food) and have only had 3 major spews in 5 weeks, Better than 5 per day. If you want to continue to breastfeed you can put your baby on some kind of medication which you give them before each feed that thickens the breast milk ( your doctor could tell you more)or you can express the breast milk add the thickener to the breastmilk (the same stuff that makes the breast milk thick- also made by Karicare) and bottle feed. Which ever one works for you and your baby.
Once you get a solution for you and your baby you will be amazed at how many less spew rags and clothes you need to wash.
Min

Min, NSW, Charlotte 30/8/05

Sign in to follow this topic