Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Lack of Milk Supply Rss

Hi all,
I have 2 older children and have just had my third. I wasn't very successful in breast feeding my first 2 and only got to about 6-8 weeks. With my newborn i have so far gotten to 13 weeks but over the last 2 days she seems to be just constantly hungry and not sleeping her usual 8 hours at night time. I went to the Dr today as i have done my back and asked about the medication for increasing milk and she just said to put her on formula and then prescribed me valium and tramal for my back..(i was so bloody annoyed by this.) I left crying my eyes out and went to the health centre only to find out that my baby girl has only put on 150gr in 4 weeks...She is growing in length and head etc. I am so distraught as she is constantly feeding from me..
Anyway the health nurse suggested fenugreek, and i also bought raspberry leaf tea and the elevit again...
What i am asking is does anyone else have any suggestions and has anyone used these product and found them to be useful.
Also has anyone used the prescribed medication and how did it go???
Any help would be great as i want to continue to feed her myself......
smile
Hi,

I am a mother of two, I BF my first for 11 months and my second is still BF at 6 months.

I had enough milk for 2 babies first time round, but this time has taken a bit more time. Every 3 or so weeks my little one seems to get hungry continually wanting feeds, it takes a few day's to get over but some extra feeds each day plus expressing a bottle or two is usually enough to get things going again.

I don't look at it as 'Lack of milk' but baby need's the next step up of milk so it's your body learning which step to take.

Was the nurse worried about her weight gain?
I haven't tried the medications as i find that after a couple of day's your body can work itself out and things can continue. Sometimes i think it can be my lack of fluids as well.

Also I know it can be hard But Try not to give into an "easy" formula feed as this will decrease what she will take from you and make the following day's supply even less causing more problems later on.

I hope this is of help and wish you well in your goal of BF!
Sounds like bub is having a growth spurt. The extra feeding is to increase your supply, rather than a sign of lacking supply. It takes a couple of days for your boobs to get the message to produce more to meet her growing needs. Sleep usually goes back to normal once the growth spurt is over, too smile These growth spurts happen every few weeks for the first few months, they're perfectly normal. I remember during DD's first one feeling like I was totally out of milk at the end of the day...but after a couple of days (stressful as they were), she was fine and my boobs had stepped up production to keep nourishing her as she grew.

Keep at it, you're doing a wonderful thing for your bub!

Hi, I have had personal experience with fenugreek and it worked a treat!! After my 4th was born I was able to BF her without a problem but by 4 months I found myself a little run down and tired so my milk supply went down so i started taking fenugreek and it was great. It really increased my milk supply so I never had to supplemet her at all. When I was dropping down my feeds thats when I stopped taking it and there was no side effects that I experienced. I would recommend giving it a go. It would have to be better than supplementing with formula.

DS1-7 DS2-5 DD1-4 DD2-2

also aswell as what the ladies said (express a little each day)....I know this will be hard for some but...
GET SLEEP, even the smallest amount will help so maybe you can get som e one to come around for an hour or more so you can rest up, EAT WELL, Some fruit a veg each day....just do healthy-ier options rather than KFC or Chips DRINK PLENTY OF WATER !!! At least 2L a day, try carrying around with you a 1L reusable bottle even if you are at home because it makes it so easier. There is also a few PREGNANCY AND BREASTFEEDING TEASout there that would help a bit...I'm pretty sure they have fenugreek in them too
[Edited on 22/11/2008]

Iam a mother of three boys... my baby is just 9weeks... I am taking the prescribed medication for increasing breast milk supply... I am finding that it is working really well this time round... I am also taking a herb called Goats Rue which helps too... Breast feeding the third time round I was much more determined than the last two times... I only BF for 4months with the other 2... my first son had feeding prob of a reduced swallow and i had PND and my milk just went because he couldn't feed properly... my second son was a better feeder but started to refuse to feed not long after i went back to work... i left it too late to try the medication then... i feel with taking the medication this time round that i am more confident... my son is putting on weight (450grams in 12days at last weigh in)and considering he was premmie this is awesome... my baby does still cluster feed at night and likes to comfort suck after he has had his fill... i think stressing about if your baby is getting enough can effect your milk letdown... i know that when i have my other sons home during the day i am a little stressed and i know my baby is more unsettled at those times... if your doctor will not prescribe the medication perhaps ask your paediatrician... mine were prescribed by a paed before my son was discharged from special care... i think press the point that you really want to BF and are not willing to give up and go to formula without trying every other option first..
Good luck and i hope things will work out for you and your baby.....
Iam a mother of three boys... my baby is just 9weeks... I am taking the prescribed medication for increasing breast milk supply... I am finding that it is working really well this time round... I am also taking a herb called Goats Rue which helps too... Breast feeding the third time round I was much more determined than the last two times... I only BF for 4months with the other 2... my first son had feeding prob of a reduced swallow and i had PND and my milk just went because he couldn't feed properly... my second son was a better feeder but started to refuse to feed not long after i went back to work... i left it too late to try the medication then... i feel with taking the medication this time round that i am more confident... my son is putting on weight (450grams in 12days at last weigh in)and considering he was premmie this is awesome... my baby does still cluster feed at night and likes to comfort suck after he has had his fill... i think stressing about if your baby is getting enough can effect your milk letdown... i know that when i have my other sons home during the day i am a little stressed and i know my baby is more unsettled at those times... if your doctor will not prescribe the medication perhaps ask your paediatrician... mine were prescribed by a paed before my son was discharged from special care... i think press the point that you really want to BF and are not willing to give up and go to formula without trying every other option first..
Good luck and i hope things will work out for you and your baby.....
Hi
I am a mother of two. My first I breastfed for only two weeks then I had to give formula as the supply wasn't there. I have just recently had my second child who is 5 weeks old and I do still have low milk supply. I went to the chemist first which I bought the fenugreek capsules which on the bottle it says take only 2 tabs 3 times a day. I went to child health which told me to take 4 tabs 4 times a day for 3 days then go back to 2 tabs 3 times a day. They did help. I contacted breastfeeding hotline which said there is a medication you can take to increase the supply. Went to GP, who prescribed me the medication which is called Domperidone. This has helped me more than the fenugreek but you also still need to try and feed or express more because I have found that on this medication I either need to feed or express at least every two or three hours. I hope this helps and good luck.
I have just had my first baby a week ago and my milk supply is low. So after advice from the mid-wives I started taking Fenugreek last night. As the tablets I bought are 1000mg, you start with 6 tablets the first time and then 1 tablet 3 times a day. As my son is in the special care nursery I only see him twice a day at present because we are working on the feeding thing, and I express 6-8 times per day (every 2-3 hours where possible). The more stimulation you get the better it should be. I'm hoping this works for me, and there are signs of improvement in the next couple of days or else I will get some other tablets prescribed by my obstetrician.
Just replying as I stalked these forums to see what could help boost my supply. (I know its an old thread but it popped up for me)
This is what helped in order:
1. PUMP PUMP AND PUMP. I used a hospital grade pump (spectra..best investment) and would nurse pump, nurse pump.. After a day or 2 of this my supply was great.
2. Breastfeeding supplement- fenugreek and weleda nursing tea you can get from the health food shop.
3. SLEEP/ REST. This is really important try and sleep through and get partner to help out at night. I find if i don't sleep my supply suffers
4. Guiness/ stout or lactation cookies (brewers yeast)
5. Oatmeal every morning for breakfast
6. Make sure your consuming enough calories (and fluids) to make milk
5. oatmeal for brekkie every morning
6. Plenty of fluids- water, carrot juice (or carrots) and milk boost supply

Demand feeding or pumping in between feeds helps the most.
Sign in to follow this topic