Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Advice needed....Should I stop breastfeeding????

Advice needed....Should I stop breastfeeding???? Rss

I need some advice (not pressure!!!)

I have a 7 week old son. He is very healthy and putting on a good amount of wieght...

For the first three weeks he was having both breast and bottle feeds as he had mild jaundice and this is what the doctor told us to do to get rid of it. As a result he happily takes both bottle and breast.

Over the last week, I have had thrush which was very painful, so i was expressing two feeds a day and giving him one formula feed to give my nipples a chance to heal. The breast feeds i was doing were very painful which caused us both to be stressed.

Anyway the thrush is getting better now... BUT I have found that I enjoy Bottle feeding much more the breast feeding...for lots of reasons the main ones being it is stress free, pain free and i'm not embrassed to do it in public (and that lets me out of the house more).

So now I'm considering eirther continuing doing a mixture of both or giving up breastfeeding altogether. I tried to discuss this with my early chldhood Nurse but she just kept telling me breast, breast, breast.

I guess i just need advice is it bad to keep mixing breast and bottle? Is it bad to stop breast feeding at 7 weeks when I could keep going???

NSW, 7 week old son

Hi Ryn,

I really believe the mother needs to do what feels best for her!! Good on you for breastfeeding for 7 weeks!! I stopped with both my children after 2 weeks for lots of reasons and thrush was one of them! If you can mix breast and formula then thats fantastic, as you're still giving your baby some breast milk whilst giving you and your nipples a break. I did the same thing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Maybe you could just continue to do that for as long as possible or until your milk supply goes down (it might not). I started expressing my milk a couple of times a day so she was having 3 formula feeds and 3 breast milk feeds from a bottle. Eventually my milk did dry up but I really preferred the bottle as it made me feel more in control.
It sounds as if you really would like to give up breastfeeding and you're feeling like lots of other mums feel.
I couldn't devote the time needed to getting breastfeeding going because i have a 22 month old who needs my attention too! And with my first baby I didn't want to devote 1 1/2 hours to feeding her every time anyway!
As i said both my girls were formula fed (youngest is only 4 weeks) from 2 weeks and they are thriving!! My mental state has improved SO much since giving up breast feeding because I was just constantly stressed/in tears etc. as it just didn't work for me.
Don't worry about the child health nurse!! Gosh they can be pushy sometimes!! If you want to keep breastfeeding, good on you and good luck....If not, please don't feel guilty for stopping, trust your instincts.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!!

Sarah, mum of Natalie & Jessica

you know what i was exactly the same i did not enjoy it after a while dont feel guilty. do what makes you feel comfortable. i love feeding my baby and you can still share that bond just leave the feeding for you and your partner like i do and you will still bond trust me!

Susie the proud mother of baby Kiara born 8.1.06

I have a 12week old daughter and i am fully demand breastfeeding and it is working for me.

I believe that whatever suits each mum is fine. You shouldn't feel guilt about bottle feeding a baby! My best friend just gave birth to twins and has a 15month old daughter and i encouraged her to bottle feed as it is what suits her best.

My opinion is that if formula wasn't good for babies then they wouldnt make it! The hospital recommended formula (although they dont recommend) the one they all use is S26 Gold so it must be good!

My mother is a midwife and she (obivoulsy like all hopsitals do) encourage breastfeeding. But at the end of the day, if you are unhappy, and hence baby is unhappy (cos bubs get all ur unhappy vibes - perceptive little buggers that they are) you would be better bottle feeding and having a settled baby and relaxed mother than having a stressed/tired/frustrated mummy and an overtired unsettled baby. You are best doing WHAT SUITS YOU and WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING.

I would also like to add that it does take a good 6-8weeks to establish breastfeeding and i certainly had all my ups and downs (sore nipples, loss of time to do things, and the stares and looks for b/feeding in public and comments very opinionated step-mum) but I am happy with it now and feel quite comfortable and glad i persisted!

I think you should do what YOU think is best. Im sure your baby is healthy and happy and you do need to think of yourself too (ie time, conveinice etc) when it comes to making your decision!

Good luck and im sure your son will be as healthy and happy as any other bottle and breast feed baby around!

DD#1 - 3.7yrs, DD#2 -20mnths, DD#3 is here! 21.08.

Hi girls,

Samantha is coming up on 6 weeks and I suspect another growth spurt as she has been grumpy and feeding all day it seems.

I have found breastfeeding a little difficult with sore nipples especially when she latches on and sometimes has a munch when I'm not concentrating. I do express a feed sometimes if we are going out shopping or to somewhere I don't feel comfortable feeding but we have discovered that if we take a formula feed with us it helps get us through the shopping trips in relative peace until we can get home to feed her.

I have considered changing to formula as I wonder if she is getting enough milk but will continue to stick with the breast thanks to all the advice you have posted. Some of it sounds just like what I'm going through and being a 1st time mum it can be a confusing time.

I think the main message is 'do what you feel is best for you and bubs.'
Sign in to follow this topic