Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. How do I know if she's hungry or just whingy?

How do I know if she's hungry or just whingy? Lock Rss

I am a first time mother to a 3 week old baby girl who seems to want to be fed every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. While in the hospital she was feeding every 3 - 4 hours but the last week she seems to want more frequent feeds. How do I know if she if actually hungry or just whingy? I try to settle her and end up feeding her when she wont settle. How long should I try settling her before feeding her? Should I try giving her some bottled water in between feeds? Any suggestions would be great!!

Hi nsd

Congratulations on the birth of your little baby. I have 2 children, both of whom i breastfed till they turned 1 year. Its okay for babies to feed often when they are small - i basically fed mine on demand when they were really small. Your baby might be going through a growth spurt. They usually say that if you are breastfeeding your baby, u don't need to give them water in between. And if u think that your baby is not hungry, then give her lots of cuddles - mommy's cuddles are the best !!!!

mumof2

Hi there

I also have a 2 week old bub and she is going through the same thing. I am a first time mum as well and posted a thread called "Cluster feeding" on this page.

Some advice I have been told has helped me. Usually she has the same time of day she will go through frequent feeds. Today she has been averaging 1.5 hour between feeds for this afternoon. Last week I just fed her on demand but one lady said to try and stretch it out. So before i give in I try rocking her which has worked 2-3 times but not always, making sure she doesn't have a dirty nappy and also making sure it isn't wind. If I have done all that and she is still crying then I will feed her. The other day Charli fed every 1.5-2 hours from 2pm until 1am and wasn't settling between feeds..a nightmare but followed by a great day with no frequent feeds...I have already learnt there will be good days and bad!!

I have also found that after these frequent feeds she sleeps for 4-5 hours.

Have heard it is due to growth spurts and eventually pass...!!!

Hope this helps!

Charli's mum

Sign in to follow this topic