Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Nipple shields Lock Rss

Hi peoples,

I have tried on numerous occasions to put my baby straight onto the breast but my nipples always end up killing me to the point of tears. The last time i tried, it was ok for two days (a little sore but bearable) but ended up killing (naturally a build up of the two days). I have used nipple shields (very messy) since hospital and my breasts and nipples became very sore there. My question is, what's the big deal with using them for the whole time i choose to breastfeed? The only thing i can think of is nipple confusion and the fact that he takes in lots of air whilst feeding. I have already tried a lactation clinic and it didn't work. Some thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Super.

bubsy32

Super

I needed to use nipple shields with my first born, before I left the hospital the midwife warned me it can reduce your milk by up to 70%. I was using them for every feed and my milk started to reduce and I ended up giving up and putting her on formula.

But that could just be a coincidence

Good luck

Jodi

The other thing i forgot to mention is your baby learns to latch on to the nipple shield, rather than to the breast. Weaning from the shield can be difficult.
Jodi
AAAAGH, Dingbat, what did you have to tell me that for? I know, i asked. I hope it was just a coincidence. How long had you been using them for before you realised your milk supply was low? I only ask because mine seems fine at the moment but it's only been five weeks so i guess it could happen later. I certainly know the sucking on a shield differs from that of a baby sucking straight on the nipple- oh how i wish i could put him straight on the nipple.

Thanks for your response and good wishes.

Super.

bubsy32

AAAAGH, Dingbat, what did you have to tell me that for? I know, i asked. I hope it was just a coincidence. How long had you been using them for before you realised your milk supply was low? I only ask because mine seems fine at the moment but it's only been five weeks so i guess it could happen later. Then again, i have been expressing as well, so maybe that's helping? I certainly know the sucking on a shield differs from that of a baby sucking straight on the nipple- oh how i wish i could put him straight on the nipple.

Thanks for your response and good wishes.

Super.

bubsy32

Hey Super....have you tried Lansinoh? You get it from the chemist.....used to be in a purple tube...dunno if it still is or not. (you can still get it)

It's a cream which is lanolin based, and I found it really worked well on sore nipples. You can put this stuff on and don't have to take it off again before feeding the baby. I think at one stage with feeding Naomi, I was using nipple shields and the Lansinoh, and eventually they got so much better that I was able to feed without any of it! And this time round, I'm not having any trouble at all
I don't know if nipple shields lower your supply or not. I was only able to feed Naomi for three months, but I think it was only because I was pregnant again....not any other reason....I think the taste of the milk changed or something.
Anyway, hope I've been a help....don't worry, it seems a lot of people have this problem when they first start feeding....wish someone had told me beforehand how much it was going to hurt!
Georgina
Expressing should help apparently using the shield prevents stimulation to the nipple therefore cuts down milk supply,
it took over a month before i started to really notice the difference.
Thanks Geaorgina and Jodi for your thoughts. Georgina, have used a similar type product introduced to me at the hospital called Marcalan- same sort of thing i'd imagine. Thanks anyways.
I'm going to try one more breastfeeding clinic and see how i go- fingers crossed it works.

Jodi, i have actually noticed my supply isn't as strong- so it must drop after a while. But i went and got me a Medala double electric pump and that has helped alot. I hired a huge one the first month, the suction was different and i wasn't getting much milk at all, it was difficult just getting one feed. This one is heaps better, suddenly i can get one feed in just ten minutes which is great. Only got the pump yesterday so i'll see if the supply improves.

Thanks.

Super.

bubsy32

Hi, I have a 10 week old and am still using Nipple Shields as I have flat nipples. The only prob is that it is reducing the flow for me now and my son seems to be hungry just after 2 hours of breastmilk, so I am also feeding with the bottle. Its like Breastmilk is just the entree for him.
Try expressing that will help the supply !
I learnt not to stress too much about it as you always know that there is the option of expressing your milk and feeding with a bottle...the nipple shields and teats are quite similar and your baby should not get too confused.

Good Luck !

8 month old

Yes thats so true. Once you start with the Nipple Shields I think you are stuck...as I couldnt get my son to latch on without them. But luckily I am still wearing them and its been 10 weeks & the flow is not so bad as the midswives stressed me out with

8 month old

I used nipple shields when i was b/f as baby latched on easier and was a lot happier. I b/f for 10 months and didnt find a reduction in my milk at all. The reason i stopped was because my body wasnt reacting to the mini pill and was causing health probs. I found the nipple shields to a be a life saver smile

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

When my daughter was 6 weeks she got thrush in the mouth and I got it on my nipples! And the nipple shields were a life saver, it got to the point she needed a feed and I just couldn't face it at that time I didn't know she had it, but I got some shields and it was instant relief.
Karen.

Karen,NZ, 5 yr old girl & 2 yr old boy

Sign in to follow this topic