Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Fibre when breastfeeding? Rss

My boy is now 5 weeks old and he has had a fair bit of trouble with wind. For breakfast i try to eat a high fibre cereal, as i have alot of trouble with constipation. I was wondering if anyone else who breastfeeds eats high fibre and has experienced the same problem. This is my third child and i have not been eating anything that should effect my milk. I have been using infants friend and gripe water and the only thing i can think of is the fibre cereal. Any suggestions or experiences?

Amanda Qld

Hi Fluffy.

Personally, i don't think it is the fibre that is giving him the wind! I eat high fibre breaskfast cereal and don't think that it is related to breastfeeding. It is perfectly normal for bubs to get wind at anytime. In the first 6-8 weeks especially more common for breastfeeders as it takes about 6-8weeks to establish breastfeeding. It can cause them to gulp a lot when letdown occurs ánd this causes the wind. Have you thought about using a colic misture?? My DD had the wind problem from 4weeks and at around 6-8weeks i begun using Marina Infant Mixture ( all natural) and give her 4mLs in a dropper 8 times a day before feeding her (all her feeds now she is older) I found it excellent for bringing up the burps, so they dont get wind through their bowels which must me terribly uncomfortable. She improved considerably, and i burp her between sides to try and assist the burping.

Hope this helps. It worked for me, Really doubt it has much to do with the fibre in your diet smile Take care! Hope DS gets better soon! Great job on breastfeeding!

DD#1 - 3.7yrs, DD#2 -20mnths, DD#3 is here! 21.08.

Sign in to follow this topic