Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Breast & Bottle Rss

Hi all,

Im in desperate need of advice !!!!!!!!!
My little girl is 5wks old now and has souly been breastfeed.
She has no feeding routine whatsoever and when i try to give her 4hrly feeds she dose well for a day but within 24hrs its all messed up again as she constally routing for the boob, She is also has a little colic but at the moment it seems to be getting better.

but.....Today i have totally given up and bought everything needed for bottlefeeding !!

Has any one out there sucessfully breast and bottle fed their babys and managed to keep the supply up at such an eearlie stage ????

I would like to be able to do both !!!!!!

ANY advice would be appreciated !!!

Thanx

Shannon WA, DD Tiana 2, No2 EDD 8th May

I know what you are going through and I'm sure other people will write in and tell you they have been there too. I know so many people who talk about that 6 week mark that signifies the magical transition into smooth, routine breastfeeding - but it is not always the case. I think, from my experience, that breastfed babies and their Mums often take up to 12 weeks to really get into any pattern. So many people give up at the six week mark when it really does improve, often, only a few weeks later. Of course there are many instances where a woman may change to bottle feeding, but if you are not experiencing supply problems or attachment/nipple problems I would encourage you to perservere a bit longer. Breastmilk is digested much more quickly than formula. Formula fed babies are fuller for longer as the formula takes longer to digest. Breastfed babies are going to need more frequent feeds to keep baby full and to maintain supply. Often a sucky baby will indicate a growth spurt or your body's way of boosting supply. After bottlefeeding my first son (due to complications after birth) and then breastfeeding my next three, I would be happy to never have to sterilise or heat up another bottle in my life. This, of course, is my opinion, but if you've come this far I think it's worth a few more weeks. Ultimately it comes down to having a happy Mum and a happy baby. If Mum isn't happy, then Baby isn't happy! Hopefully someone will have experience of doing both and give you some advice. All the very best in whatever you decide.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi

I understand where you are coming from. Those first few weeks can be frustrating, I was breastfeeding Ryan up to 14 times a day in the beginning. As nyrrek says it does get better. I would say it was about 7 or 8 weeks for me when my milk settled and ryan cut back to routinely 6 feeds a day. He also started sleeping through at 8 weeks. I agree that perserverance pays off if you can wait that long.

However my little man is 10 weeks old and I am going to start feeding him a formula bottle as his last feed of the night within the next couple of weeks. This is mainly because I am getting back into gym instructing a couple of nights a week so my partner can give Ryan a bottle at night if he needs a feed while I am gone. I still plan to breastfeed the other five feeds a day. I do know of other women who give one bottle feed a day and the rest as breast feeds and they find it works well. I am hoping the same works for me cause you need to be aware that sometimes if babies are introduced to the bottle they don't want the breast at all any more which I have heard is one danger of mixing bottle and breast.

Since I haven't started trying yet I can't give you any advice though on how it goes personally ... just what I've heard.

All the best
Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi
i both breast feed and bottle feed my 8 week old son. I find he takes both just as well as the other and it doesn't seem to effect him in anyway. I give him a formula bottle at night and sometimes his first feed in the morning. He is having 6 feeds a day. The 5 - 6 week mark can be an awkward time but in the end do what feels best for u. If you feel you need to give your breast a rest then perhaps give it a try. You wont know how it'll go until you give it a try. smile Goodluck.

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

Hi Shannon

Like everyone else has said those first few weeks can be really hard and demanding - but it does get easier. I had trouble like most mums in the beginning - most of the time my son would feed every 1.5 hours and when he was taking 40+ mins each feed it didn't leave me (or him) much rest time in between. I did give him 'top-ups' of formula every now and then as I just didn't seem to have enough milk. The nurses at our baby clinic and also at the hospital advised me only to give 60mls (1 made up scoop) of formula at a time and only give after breastfeeding not to replace breastfeeds with formula feeds. They also told me to be aware that sometimes babies start to refuse the breast as they don't have to work as hard to feed from a bottle. So if you do decide to use a bottle make sure you use the slow flow teats and don't let your daughter guzzle it down all in one go. I found by about 8 weeks I didn't need to use the formula anymore as his feeding sorted itself out. Every know and then he'd have his 1.5 hour feeding frenzies which the nurses assured me was normal as they go through growth spurts occasionally and it's their way of boosting your supply, by the time he was 6 months old and started on solids his feeding patterns became more routine. They also told me that 4 hourly feeding is unrealistic in most cases especially for newborns as their stomachs are only about the size of their fist and breastmilk is so easily digested, hence the frequent feeding. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, do whatever works for you and your baby. I hope this has helped.

All the best
Jasmine
Oh Newbee, you poor love,

It does get frustrating doesn't it? Five weeks old is a little early for a routine. My boy is three months old and i only got him into a routine not that long ago. You can feel like a failure because of it.

I tried to breastfeed but it hurt too much. So i was expressing to feed him. Then, i finally got him on and it stopped hurting but because he had been on the bottle for so long he got lazy and wouldn't take the breast. So i continue to express for five feeds a day. I give him one bottle of formula at night. My advice to you is to persevere with the breastfeeding- it will get better. And don't do what i did, don't get feeding confused with tiredness- it's easy to do.

Super.

bubsy32

The only thought I can share is with the 4 hour routine thing - I have heard that that is more for formula fed babies.

With Bennett and this worked for me I'm not suggesting it for everyone - he was and still is I guess purely fed on demand (hey does this make me an alternative parent lol) basically as I don't work to a rountine I couldn't bare to start I just fed him when he went looking he is on solids now so has dropped one feed but it still doesn't go by the clock but he did figure out his own pattern.

He was sleeping through at 8 weeks 7pm-7am and therefore was feeding loads during the day.

He wakes 2 times a night now but feeds less dring the day but I'm sure once these naughty teeth are through things will settle down again (i hope)

Steph

Ps if you are concerned about your supply just express even if you tip it out its a great way to have ample milk

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

My 2nd daughter is 10 weeks old and I had the same problems that you had. At the moment I am doing both. I express the breast milk and then feed it to her in a bottle. And she is more settled. I also find that at about the 5pm feed she is very unsettled, so i wrap her up tightly after the feed and she sleeps until about 11.30pm.
Hope that this helps.
HI NEWBEE

Maybe try expressing while you bottle feed to keep your supply going !

Melinda

8 month old

Hi Newbee,

How is the feeding going? I hope it is improving for you.

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE.
MY LITTLE GIRL IS NOW 9 WKS AND THINGS HAVE NOW GOTTEN ALOT BETTER IM STILL SOULY BREASTFEEDING BUT IM STARTING TO LOOKFOWARD TO BOTTLE FEEDING.
ILL PROB CONTINUE BREAST TILL 3 MTH MARK THEN START TO WEEN GRADUALLY.

THANX AGAIN

PERSISTANCE DOSE PAY OFF

THANX
SHANNON

Shannon WA, DD Tiana 2, No2 EDD 8th May

Sign in to follow this topic