Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Does expressing reduce your milk supply???

Does expressing reduce your milk supply??? Lock Rss

Hi Ladies,

I am breast feeding at the moment but just wanted to know if expressing often cause your milk supply to reduce??

Hi Ladies,

I am breast feeding at the moment but just wanted to know if expressing often cause your milk supply to reduce??

I'm not entirely sure, but I've always been under the impression that it increases your supply? The more you use the more you produce, that kind of theory.... I guess if you don't empty your breasts then it could reduce the supply cos your body will make as much as it thinks you're using. I've had friends who have fed bubs then expressed the remaining to keep their supply up.... Hope this helps...
yeah, it increases the milk supply because your body thinks the baby is drinking more so it produces more to keep up with the demand.
yeh i was told to expess to try and get my supply up, but it didnt work for me. i think if u have milk and u express it definately increases it tho. i just didnt have any milk.

It won't stimulate your supply as much as your baby will, so while trying to establish supply or maintain supply for short periods it is fine, but for long term you may you're not producing enough for your babys needs.
Hi, I do find expressing increases your milk supply but I can only express while I'm feeding my bub. Yes, I do feel a lil like a milked cow, baby on one breast and the breast pump on the other hehe but it works for me.
Sign in to follow this topic