Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Thicker formula Lock Rss

Hi i have a 6 week old girl on thicker formula for reflux i was just wondering if anyone else has used it and what teats they used as ive been having some trouble finding the right teat i was told to get the variable flow teat with the X in the top but she wont suck hard enough to get the formula out so i was then told to get fast flow teats but there to fast and give her to much wind as do medium flow teats but the slow flow teats seem to slow and she gets anoyed at how slow the formula comes out. any advice????
i use karicare thickener rather than thickened formula because that way i can control the thickness of it myself to suit what DS2 needs (a bit of trial and error required) but also with the thickener it doesn't go really thick straight away so it is easier to get out of a regular teat and you don't need to get special teats. it goes a bit thicker on standing, so when it reaches their tummy it will thicken there and do its job.

another thing you could do is use say 3 scoops of thickened formula and one scoop of regular formula (obviously to however many scoops you are using) to get a slightly thinner consistency, but still have it thicker so that there is less spewing.

Hey hun smile we used the 'Pur' teats in the size up from newborn. If that doesn't suit you can try sticking a toothpick down the hole to stretch it out a little smile good luck! I hope you find something that works!

Hey hun smile we used the 'Pur' teats in the size up from newborn. If that doesn't suit you can try sticking a toothpick down the hole to stretch it out a little smile good luck! I hope you find something that works!

Oh excellent idea did not even think of that thanks going to give that a try smile

Hi i have a 6 week old girl on thicker formula for reflux i was just wondering if anyone else has used it and what teats they used as ive been having some trouble finding the right teat i was told to get the variable flow teat with the X in the top but she wont suck hard enough to get the formula out so i was then told to get fast flow teats but there to fast and give her to much wind as do medium flow teats but the slow flow teats seem to slow and she gets anoyed at how slow the formula comes out. any advice????

I would ask your GP as they will have more of an idea about your situation then anyone on here and then they can help you find the right thing.
my dd has reflux, and i use karicare AR formula, i find the only bottles etc they work well with this formula are the NUK bottles.
What formula are u using hun? My ds now 2 was on s26-Ar and I found it mixed the best when mixed with cold fridge boiled water. If i mixed it with room temp water or hot water it was really lumpy and used to block up the teats. We used the Avent bottles and found them the best but we didnt use the variable flow teats. Just the normal ones that had 2 holes, 3 holes, 4 holes etc as he got older. He was on that formula for 13 months and finally grew out of chucking up at 13 months. It was long, painful and messy but we got through it and u will to smile
Sign in to follow this topic