Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. staying awake during feeding

staying awake during feeding Lock Rss

I was wondering if anyone else struggles with keeping their little one awake while breast feeding? I have a 2.5 week old and am struggling with keeping her awake for feeds, and she will only feed for a couple of minutes at a time!! The other night she only fed for 3min on one breast before falling fast asleep and i couldnt wake her, and she still slept 4 hours at night, then during the day she wakes constantly for small feeds!! Some times she stays awake for big feeds. I tickle her, stroke her cheek/feet, strip her down to just her nappy or singlet... any other suggestions? i havent tried the cold flannel as of yet, but am seriously considering it!! When did your little one grow out of it, and start to stay more awake during feeds?
I would try the cold flannel, DS was a winter bub, I had to strip him down to a nappy so he got cold for 4-6wks to keep him awake for a proper feed. maybe because it is so warm now, she is just so warm and the milk is so comforting that she struggles to stay awake. Because DS was born in winter, even though we do have heating, he still got just cold enough to stay awake for a feed if I stripped him

hth

I would try the cold flannel, DS was a winter bub, I had to strip him down to a nappy so he got cold for 4-6wks to keep him awake for a proper feed. maybe because it is so warm now, she is just so warm and the milk is so comforting that she struggles to stay awake. Because DS was born in winter, even though we do have heating, he still got just cold enough to stay awake for a feed if I stripped him

hth

I tried the cold flannel last night, but it didnt work... Just made her not want to feed. I tried wipping her feet with it, but she just screamed and pulled away from the breast, so i tried other parts of her body with it, but all the same reaction!! Have a midwife visit on friday so will question her about it then!
Sign in to follow this topic