Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Embarrased to feed in public with nipple shield

Embarrased to feed in public with nipple shield Lock Rss

Hi Ladies,

My little girl is just over 2 weeks now and breast feeding is going really well. I do have to use a nipple shield as she wont go on with out it now. The hospital gave me one to use cause I have flat nipples. She is gaining weight and is latching on great. The health care nurses say I should try to get rid of the shield, I want to but cant see how.
The problem I have is Im so embarrassed to feed out in public so Im finding I just stay home to avoid this. Especially having to use the shield, It takes that bit longer to get her on and I feel stupid. I have a bbq to go to in a couple of days and am freaking out cause I know Im going to have to feed her. Does anyone else feel the same?
I am using a nipple shield for my 10 day old DD and I think it is fantastic!!

I was having alot of problems in the hospital and my nipples were so bad bub would have a blood moustache after feeding sad

Don't be embarrassed by it at all.. Just yesterday I fed my DD in the bank smile then again walking around kmart lol (we had a big day shopping)... My MIL never breastfed any of her 3 children and when I use the shield she says she wishes she tried it now because I make breastfeeding look so easy..

My community nurse says the same, she wants me to get off the shield but i have tried and it just hurts.. Is your shield clear? I kno when bubs is latched on you can't even tell I am wearing one!!

Just remember what you are doing is perfectly normal and you are doing the best for your bub to ensure they have important breast milk and not formula smile

Chin up and be proud that you are looking after your baby smile
I found BF pretty tricky at the start and had a bit of trouble getting DS to attach correctly. I'd have to take him off a few times to try to get it right.

When I went out (which is daunting with a new baby WITHOUT considering bf issues grin ) I would just go to another room to feed. Eventually, once I grew in confidence, I could feed any where.

Thanks ladies,
Im hoping I get more confident. If I didnt have to use the shield she could go straight on but I have to put the shield on which is a bit hard to do discreetly.Yes TM16 It is clear and you cant tell when she is on so that is good, And yes it does save your nipples from the pain. Im kinda thinking if I keep using the shield at least when I go to bottle it wont be so confusing for her cause she will already be used to sucking on latex. TM16 R u going to keep using yours? Should I try to get her off it?
Ive never heard of them before, how do they work? When i was out in public and BF i always used to put a blanket over my shoulder and across baby so that noone could see, or if i was at a friends i would just go to another room.
I don't think I could go without it now.. I know she is getting enough milk and we are both used to it now..

I want to keep bf because it is good for her.. I haven't actually been to my community nurse yet but spoke to her on the phone and that's when she said about getting off the shield...

Personally, my shield is my life saver.. I won't go anywhere without it.. Do you keep yours in water at all? I do and when I put it on it sticks straight to my nipple and I can do it with one hand smile

I don't think u should be worried, like I said I fed her on the bank while we were talking to a consultant and they didnt even think anything of it...
Hiya, I'm a nipple shield mummy too. My little lady never took my right boob until I got the shields, which my GP recommended when he saw how ripped up my nipples were. They're still healing, and I've thought about whether I'll wean her or not. The only reason I would is because its a bit messier to feed.

I found a great thread on the ABA forums that is supporting Mums who use NS, if you want the link?
One lady said she's proud to use shields because it meant she could still breast feed and never resorted to bottles. Apparently she saved a couple of Mums that saw her use them in the parents room, who'd never heard of them and were in pain.

Be proud your bubba gets the boobie juice, even though it comes in different packaging.
Hi there!

That is brilliant that bf is going well for you! It can be so rough in the first few weeks.
Don't stress about the nipple shields. If you are more comfortable with them, then use them!

With the feeding in public thing.... there are always places you can go to get away. If in a park, just go and find a nice tree somewhere quiet - use a blanket if you are more comfortable. At someones house, just go and borrow a room. Just say it stops bubs being distracted if you want an excuse. When there is a few people, nobody will bat an eye if you slip off somewhere discreet. Shops usually have parent rooms, or you can feed in your car or in a coffee shop somewhere.

Don't freak out about it. You are still building your confidence and you and bubs are still getting the jist of it and each other. Anyone that has had kids will understand that. Don't be afraid to tell people, I just need some space to feed - I will be back later.

All the best!
Don't feel embarrassed about using a NS! With my DS no one ever mentioned them to me and I'm a little annoyed about it. Not one nurse or doctor - no one! My DS was BF for ust over a week because my nipples were so ripped up. Whenever I sensed he was going to wake for a feed I would start crying and panic. I feel I failed BF miserably, and if I could have continued breastfeeding even with a NS the whole time I would have!

Like someone else said, you may teach someone else something they didn't already know about.

Keep going with it! Xx

Whenever I sensed he was going to wake for a feed I would start crying and panic.

Tell me about it. At one point I would have preferred going through labour again rather than BF. Okay, maybe not quite that extreme.

It's really hard when you know this tiny human life depends on you alone, and all of a sudden you can't supply.

NS honestly saved me from PND, and kept away any negative feelings towards DD. They were creeping in.

The only reason I avoid pulling them out sometimes is the mess that comes with them. I feed with a breast pad tucked over protecting my bra, and a terry cloth to catch all the excess and save Ky's clothes. But I think that's more to do with copious amounts of milk.

Anyway, blabbering.
Mainly what I wanted to say is the more you use them the more you'll get used to them and the quicker you'll get. It took me three weeks to confidently feed with them.
Hi there smile
DS is 6 months and I still use a shield. Lifesaver!
I admit I feel a bit strange using it in public, but every time I do it I feel less weird. I just cover it with my shirt while I am putting it on, and I find that most people will look away when you start to open your shirt up anyway.
After some practice you'll get to be pretty good at not letting anyone see taht you're putting it on.
And even if they do, all the times someone has asked me what it is, they have thought it was the best idea ever.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

THIS IS SOOOOO FANTANSIC TO SEE OTHER MUMS USING IT. I TRIED TO BF WITH BOTH MY BOYS AND NEVER HAD ANY LUCK DUE TO HAVING FLAT NIPPLES SO I WENT STRAIGHT TO FORMULA AND USE TO EXPRESS AS MUCH AS I COULD. I WAS ONLY IN TARGET YESTURDAY AND SAW THE THERE FOR SALE AND HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT. IM DUE IN NOVEMBER AND WILL BE GIVING THEM A GO INSTEAD OF JUST GIVING UP AND GOING TO FORMULAR. THANKS FOR THE GREAT MESSAGES YOU HAVE JUST BOOSTED MY SPIRIT. grin grin grin
Sign in to follow this topic