Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

low milk supply? HELP! Lock Rss

so bubs just over a week old. i was planning to BF, but unfortunatly ive got flat nipples and she wont latch on. ive tried the nipple shield (she doesnt like it very much) so im formula feeding AND trying to express at the same time.

the 1st day my milk 'came in' i expressed for about 10-15mins and about 60mls came from each breast. (im using tommee tippee manual pump)
then the next day only 10mls came from each breast after the same amount of time.

im trying to express after her feeds, which is around every 3 hrs. but the same 10mls would only be expressed.

was wondering if any other mums had similar problems and could offer any advice?

so bubs just over a week old. i was planning to BF, but unfortunatly ive got flat nipples and she wont latch on. ive tried the nipple shield (she doesnt like it very much) so im formula feeding AND trying to express at the same time.

the 1st day my milk 'came in' i expressed for about 10-15mins and about 60mls came from each breast. (im using tommee tippee manual pump)
then the next day only 10mls came from each breast after the same amount of time.

im trying to express after her feeds, which is around every 3 hrs. but the same 10mls would only be expressed.

was wondering if any other mums had similar problems and could offer any advice?
Same problem with milk supply although it was because I was unwell.

Try an electric pump so much more effective and faster (double even better) I also spoke to my GP/OB and she put me on Motilium which help you produce more milk. Worked wonders and I have been expressing and topping up with formula for 4 months now. Better to give bub some B milk than none at all.

Good luck

Same problem with milk supply although it was because I was unwell.

Try an electric pump so much more effective and faster (double even better) I also spoke to my GP/OB and she put me on Motilium which help you produce more milk. Worked wonders and I have been expressing and topping up with formula for 4 months now. Better to give bub some B milk than none at all.

Good luck

thanks for the tip! smile
Not speaking from experience but I've heard positive things about the Medela Nipple Formers (scroll to bottom) they help to draw out flat nipples to aid in better attachment.
Also, don't get too concerned about how much you are able to express - it is not representative of how much milk you are producing and your baby will be much more efficient at getting the max out of you breasts than a pump. Try to avoid formula top-ups they will not help in the long run. Your baby can get more used to the ease of bottle feeding, can also lead to nipple confusion in these early days and not to mention it's limiting your babes time at your breast which will help to stimulate you supply. Best of luck.
Hi, I had a low supply as well and my mid wives advised me to take fenugreek and blessed thistle from the health food store. Get them asap the other option is go to your gp and get some prescriptions to help you out. Good luck

If your bub is only 1 week old, this is very early days, and I will be totally honest with you, the first month or so is CRAP. I also had your problem, and persistence is the key. I used a medela nipple shield, took fenugreek, and expressed after each feed. If you want to bf, then DO NOT formula feed. Your breasts only produce the milk your bub needs. So, if part of the feed is by formula, your body will not produce the right amount. Babies are much more efficient feeders that what you actually express, so what you are expressing, is actually much less than what bub is getting direct from the breast.

I had great help from child health nurses who were also lactation consultants, so visit one if you can, especially in these early days.

After a difficult, tear filled beginning, both my girls were breastfed for 12/14 months respectively, and followed the 95th percentile. Just because it seems hard, doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong, as it is hard. (I still remember looking at the clock, and dreading when it was nearly 3 hours since a feed.. knowing it was nearly time again). Won't be long till you are multi tasking while feeding though, and all this will be a distant memory. Good luck!!!

Eve75

Don't beat yourself up over BF. It is more important to have a happy contended babies. I was flat out producing more than 10 mls per breast and because of the hype about BF starved my first baby for the first 10 days before switching to formula. Then I spent 8 weeks BF and bottle feeding at every feed. I just had baby number 3 on the 2/8/11 and took bottles to hospital. Luckily the lactation consultation stayed away from me! I now BF for a few minutes morning and night but thank god for bottles. The spin off is a happy baby who sleeps and sleeps and only has me up once during the night. So my advise, start formula now!
[quote name='rossmount' date='16 August 2011 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1313496319' post='3044638']
Don't beat yourself up over BF. It is more important to have a happy contended babies. I was flat out producing more than 10 mls per breast and because of the hype about BF starved my first baby for the first 10 days before switching to formula. Then I spent 8 weeks BF and bottle feeding at every feed. I just had baby number 3 on the 2/8/11 and took bottles to hospital. Luckily the lactation consultation stayed away from me! I now BF for a few minutes morning and night but thank god for bottles. The spin off is a happy baby who sleeps and sleeps and only has me up once during the night. So my advise, start formula now![/quote]
[url=http://www.celebrityfashionarchive.com][img]htt...] The OP wanted advice and support to continue to bf, not someone pushing how "convenient" formula is.
Sign in to follow this topic