Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Combined Feeding Rss

Hi everyone,
My Baby girl is due in 6 weeks smile and i am thinking about combined feeding every now and then.
I am very keen to breast feed as i was not successful with my DS so i want to be able to express and feed her with the bottle when needed like if i want DP to feed her through the night or so i can still go and have some time for myself and he babysits smile and just normally breastfeed every other time.
Has anyone had luck with doing this or will this confuse the baby with having the bottle and the boob.
Would i just have to wait till she is confidently breastfeeding and then try to introduce the bottle?..
Some tips would be great Thanks...
Don't be in too much of a rush to introduce a bottle. Wait until your supply is well and truly established and your baby is attaching well and comfortably everytime before adding an artificial nipple to her mouth.

Hi everyone,
My Baby girl is due in 6 weeks smile and i am thinking about combined feeding every now and then.
I am very keen to breast feed as i was not successful with my DS so i want to be able to express and feed her with the bottle when needed like if i want DP to feed her through the night or so i can still go and have some time for myself and he babysits smile and just normally breastfeed every other time.
Has anyone had luck with doing this or will this confuse the baby with having the bottle and the boob.
Would i just have to wait till she is confidently breastfeeding and then try to introduce the bottle?..

I combine feed and have since my little boy was a few days. I didn't have much of a choice he made quite a mess of my nipples. In the hospital they wanted me to express so they knew how much he was getting and when we got home from the hospital it was still too hard to feed him so i was expressing and giving it to him in a bottle, i still tried to BF in the morning and at night so he wouldnt forget how to do it and i really wanted to BF. At about 7 days old i couldn't even express that was to painful so i substituted a few feeds with formula. At 4 weeks old my nipples healed and i could BF him no problem - He is still a very hungry baby so I BF first and then top up with formula or express breast milk. He has no problem - he prefers the breast now but will take a bottle of breast milk, formula and even water. Hope this helps
I combine feed and have since my little boy was a few days. I didn't have much of a choice he made quite a mess of my nipples. In the hospital they wanted me to express so they knew how much he was getting and when we got home from the hospital it was still too hard to feed him so i was expressing and giving it to him in a bottle, i still tried to BF in the morning and at night so he wouldnt forget how to do it and i really wanted to BF. At about 7 days old i couldn't even express that was to painful so i substituted a few feeds with formula. At 4 weeks old my nipples healed and i could BF him no problem - He is still a very hungry baby so I BF first and then top up with formula or express breast milk. He has no problem - he prefers the breast now but will take a bottle of breast milk, formula and even water. Hope this helps

HI my dd is 2 weeks old she has been FF since day 1 but now she seems to be refusing the bottle and keeps trying to get to my breast :/ iam just curious do you think its safe to let her have a few feeds or just top ups with the breast?

HI my dd is 2 weeks old she has been FF since day 1 but now she seems to be refusing the bottle and keeps trying to get to my breast :/ iam just curious do you think its safe to let her have a few feeds or just top ups with the breast?

BFing is very safe. smile
Why don't you call the ABA on 1800 MUM2MUM so they can show you how to get her attached and to give you all the information you need to breastfeed confidently.
I also love the www.kellymom.com website for info. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I did this successfully. (BF both my girls for 12 and 14 months respectively). 1st DD had troubles attaching, so the first few weeks involved bf with a nipple shield, then topping her up with expressed milk from a bottle. She eventually got the hang of it, so then she just breast fed as normal, BUT, I still gave her an expressed breast milk feed from a bottle once a week, to keep her used to it. (She took over an hour to feed, so when I was out somewhere, she would get a bottle with EBM).

My second, tore me to shreds. So, at about 10 days old, she was fed every feed for 3-4 days, expressed bm, to allow me to recover. Went straight back to boob after this. She too, then had 1 feed every week from a bottle, so she would be used to it, IF I happened to be away (Never really happened). But, made me feel better that she would feed from a bottle.

So, definitely no confusion from my 2.

Eve75

Sign in to follow this topic