Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Cluster feeding problems. Lock Rss

It's 2:15 and I've just started feeding for the 4th time since midnight. Between 3pm & midnight was 9 feeds. I only started using an app to record feelings this afternoon but last night was much the same, non stop through the night, zero sleep.
He will seem like he's in a deep sleep after but just a few minutes back in the bassinet and he's screaming like he hasn't fed all day.
I know this is pretty common. Anyone have any tips for getting through this or coping with it? Why can't it be during the day not at night?

I think it is probably wind. We have had a few nights of this so far too. They get stuck in a cycle of 'my belly is sore' and think they need a feed but in fact it just makes the pain worse. But it is very hard on the Mummy as feeding seems to calm them down for a bit so we give in, which in fact gives them more wind.
If you are absolutely sure he shouldn't be hungry try looking at the clock and saying 'you don't get fed for half an hour' (always look at the clock as a screaming baby for 5mins at night can feel like 5 hours!) And just 'Burp' for that half hour. You'll probably have a very upset Bubba for the first 15minutes but when you get that wind out they tend to just collapse into your arms.
If you can, get you husband/partner to do that half hour of burping and you go for a long hot shower to try to block out the noise and you get that little 'me time' break (not quite as relaxing at midnight as it should be though LOL)
Congratulations on your little man! I had a little boy too!

My boy did this when he was a bub. He would over feed and then scream and you'd feed more and it would make it worse. Best thing for us was a dummy if your open to that. Turned out he just liked to feed for the comfort of it half the time and the dummy was a satisfactory replacement for him. Hope it goes better soon and you get some sleep smile
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was wind or feeding lots to build my supply. After starting this thread I decided to keep him in the bed with me (naughty i know) and he slept there for 4.5 hours which feels like a full night sleep at the moment lol! Can't let that keep happening though. I might get a hot water bottle today and when I take him out of the bassinet to feed I will put that in to keep it nice and warm and will make sure I burp him really well too. I might tilt the bassinet down a bit also.
I've tried giving him a dummy but he doesn't like it. The ones I have came with a closer to nature feeding pack. What type of dummy (shape or brand) do you find good?

Congrats country yobbo! Yay for gorgeous little boys!

I've got some avent ones ready to go for bubs that's on the way (a nice small teat usually). I would just keep trying the dummy (if you want of course) because most bubs don't like them to start of with. Remember to push the teat up towards the top of their mouth to trigger the sucking reflex or it is just an object your sticking in his mouth, maybe try warming the teat up a little under warm water before placing it in his mouth might help to???

To be honest I always sleep with my babies for the first few weeks. As soon as they are awake for their first night feed I let them stay in and from time to time we switch sides and I become a "buffet" or take as you please. They have been attached to you for 9 months and am pretty sure they want to stay as close as possible smile just enjoy the cuddles while you can I reckon.
mum2all wrote:
To be honest I always sleep with my babies for the first few weeks. As soon as they are awake for their first night feed I let them stay in and from time to time we switch sides and I become a "buffet" or take as you please. They have been attached to you for 9 months and am pretty sure they want to stay as close as possible smile just enjoy the cuddles while you can I reckon.

+1
I got much more sleep by doing this.

Congrats on your new arrival and hope things get better for you soon smile
Hey my daughter never took a dummy and did this exact thing also. I started feeding her very 2 hours from lunch time onwards and found she would cluster feed from about 5-9pm. After that I would get a 4 or 5 hour stretch of sleep because she was tired and full. Try feeding more in the day because if he is just building supply he probably doesn't understand days and nights yet either! Best fill them up in the day so you can have a bit of rest. It's so hard though, I know because I heads serial cluster feeder! Good luck!

Hey STT!
I know it's difficult, but you're not alone. I remember my little boy doing the exact same thing. I did the water bottle trick and that worked really well. Making sure their little bassinet is warm is very important, particularly since they love the warmth. I had my son in my bed for the first two weeks (not every single night, but whenever I needed that rest) and remember my MW telling me not to worry about it. She said they don't stay this small for too long, so enjoy it while it lasts. Plus at this stage they're too young to form any kind of routine. The only thing to keep in mind is SIDS. If one is extremely tired and needs a deep and long sleep, probably best bub sleep in their own bassinet or cot.
How does he feed during the day? I remember my MW telling me to feed more during the day and have them around lots of noise, so they can distinguish between night and day.
You poor thing, I hope you get some good and well deserved rest soon!

Sign in to follow this topic