Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Breastfeeding Lock Rss

everybody finds breastfeeding hard. you would think that after breastfeeding my daughter for 18 months that it would come naturally for my now 2 week old baby boy. but it doesn't. with my first i got the grazes and cracked nipples, i had bleeding and was in absolute agony for several months, needing several pillows and had to be in 'the exact right position'. and yes, i am presently going through that all again right now, finding it difficult to attach etc etc.
Breastfeeding is the best for your baby. there is no doubt about it. what is the problem about this being promoted? why shouldn't the best be encouraged? I can honestly say, that with my little boy wanting to feed every half hour, it is very tempting and easy for me to go to the bottle feeding. But, I am coping and we will get through the next few weeks and it will only get better. I know it will get better coz it happened with my daughter. eventually, it does get better. you do get to a point when you just wack them on and don't think twice about it. I don't try and make any body guilty about bottle feeding. If in person, I keep my mouth shut. It is up to each individual. but just think - if it was promoted "breast is best, but if you want then just choose the bottle" don't you think far more people would take the easy option? For eg, a friend of mine gave breastfeeding a go for two hours total. Her newborn was 2 hours old and she decided to give him the bottle. in my opinion she did not even try. not that i told her that of course.
So, if you choose to bottle feed, it is up to you. You have to expect to feel some degree of guilt about it because as we all know "breast is best". But, if you make the desision to do it then just do it and get on with it And please stop making all of us breastfeeding mums feel guilty about being able to breastfeed with no problems. Coz, we have problems and find it hard too. I encourage everyone to just accept the fact that for the first three months it will be hard and to just try and stick it out.
Coz it does get better. you just have to persevere.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Way to go by making women who honestly can't/couldn't breastfeed.

I thought I had worked through my emotions with this subject but obviously I should have come to you for advice rather than a medical professional.
A select few have done well with breast feeding - that's great and I'm so jealous. But please don't go off at other mothers because they couldn't.

I don't drink and I don't smoke and I did make the right choice - I just don't like continuously being told that I didn't.
Dear Jacob's Mum

I have contributed to this thread too ... to quote from my previous post...

"BUT ... I don’t think mums who have not breastfed should feel guilty. It is not a mother’s fault of if she has never been given the facts, or the correct advice, regarding breastfeeding. I think it is the fault of our society and our poor health system which fails to educate, assist and support new mothers - also at fault for closing down our Human Milk Banks, which could help with the miniscule number of cases where breastfeeding is not possible.

I do take offence at the “mother’s choice” argument, though. Those who say that mothers have a “CHOICE” of feeding methods, obviously assume, firstly, that formula feeding is an equal or equivalent exchange for breastmilk and secondly, that it is THE MOTHER who is most affected by this choice. It is in fact THE BABY who is most affected by feeding options in the short and long term." -end quote.

When breastfeeding is truely not possible, as I assume, in your case, then you did not make a CHOICE. It was just NECESSARY to give artificial milk to sustain life!

I think that it is a crime that we no longer have Human Milk Banks operating on a large scale in Australia. We should all be making a fuss!

Contact your local member, the AMA, Health Ministers of all parties - and anyone else you can think of that you can annoy - and tell them all that it is every baby's right to have breastmilk for the firs 6 months of life AT LEAST! and that HMBs should be brought back now!

jm
JM - I didn't even know there was such a thing as a human milk bank - I even made that suggestion to hubby initially.

You truely do learn something new every day.

Thanks
Jacob's Mum

Yes - it is no wonder you thought of it!! it is so obviously a good idea isn't it!!??

Human milk banks have been successfully operating in many countries for years- in Scandinavia since the early 1940’s and in also in the UK, France (and other European countries) and North America. In the UK, milk banks concentrate mainly on providing milk for preterm infants, because these hospitalised infants have a much improved clinical outcome when breastmilk (as opposed to artificial milk/ formula) is used.

In Norway hospitalised babies drink either mother’s milk or banked human milk - No Premature (cow’s milk based) formula is imported into the country, and the approach of all the neonatal units is to use either mother’s milk or bank milk.

In Scandinavia where human milk is most widely used, the infant mortality rate is the lowest in the world.

In Australia human milk banking used to be a common practice, but stopped in the early 1980’s - in response to the threat of HIV virus transmission. However, as has been shown in many countries where milk banking has continued, milk banking protocol takes more than adequate preventative measures to prevent any contamination of milk.

Milk banks operate in a similar manner to blood banks. Potential donors must meet strict standards before being allowed to donate. The donors are screened (for infectious illnesses eg HIV, Hep B and C )and health history is taken. The milk is individually tested for contamination. Any contaminated milk is discarded. The remaining milk is pooled, pasteurised , stored, re-tested and delivered to the recipient following strict hygeine standards.

Post pasteurisation, milk must pass microbial testing. Any bacterial growth is unacceptable. The milk is then to be used within 3 months of processing.

The technology is availabe to re-establish modern milk banking in Australia. The standards are clearly set out by the British Paediatric Association and the Human Milk Banking Association of North America. There are willing donors available. There is no argument that breastmilk is the best food for babies, and therefore it is every baby’s right to receive breastmilk.

Knowing the superior, irreplaceable value of breast milk, it is difficult to understand why milk banking in Australia is not flourishing. It would probably be safe to speculate, though, that because there is ‘no money in’ milk banks, it will take some time, and much lobbying of government departments, for them to be reopened in Australia.

Hmmmmm Maybe I should start a new thread..??

jm
Jm - I wish to god I knew all of this beforehand - might have made for a better outcome with the breast feeding - its sad for me because I really wanted to do it but don't discourage anyone else from it - in fact I have a friend who is pregnant and have been almost begging her to give BF a go.

Dear Jacob's Mum

Like I say - we need to have about 6 kids before we learn enough to get this child rearing thing even close to right !!!
as lovely as kids are ...NOT A CHANCE!!]

good on you for encouraging your friend! A good idea is to have her get in touch with a Lactation Consultant BEFORE the birth and have a good chat to her.

The more info one has the better off one will be - and after bub is on the scene and all 'hell' is breaking loose, there is no time to get the info then!

[Just by-the-by!! women who have friends or family members with breastfed babies too, have been known to 'wet-nurse' one another's babies when necessary ... yes, I know there will be some out there going 'YUUUUUK'!! but it is not a bad idea, I think!!]

jm

LOL - yes yuck but I'm all for it because the only person to benefit is baby!
I found it so hard to breastfeed at the start, what with sleep deprivation, my bub had too small a mouth and the shock of labour! I remember asking each different midwife to show me new techniques and my nipples screaming with pain as the baby came nearer!
Once i got home i tried nipple shields, different creams and drove back to the hospital every day to see 2 different Lactation Consultants. Mum and DH would watch every time i had a feed and try and help me positon bub etc. Honestly, it took at least FIVE weeks of pretty much hell to finally be able to have an enjoyable experience feeding bub. I did a lot of research into breast feeding and as a registered nurse i knew it would not be easy. It was the hardest thing i have ever done. Through that whole time though i could feel my boobs full of milk and knew it just needed to get out.
I dont know how i would have managed without the support of everyone and the confidence to ask and demand, because believe me, i made a lot of work for people.
Now my bub is 10months and for me breastfeeding her is the best experience and also the most frustrating at times in the world.
I know the midwifes are on the babies side for breastfeeding but more care and empathy should be showed, as ALL mothers want the best for their bubs.
Please dont feel guilty ladies, sometimes it is physically impossible to feed bub by breast in this society. There is so much stress we are under, even our diet etc can contribute to lack of milk.
If you tried and failed isnt that the main thing? Good on you for trying!! Why should you feel guilty about something that you have no control over??
If theres no milk, theres no milk, rather then killing yourself trying and have poor bub fade away, supplement with the bottle and feel good about yourselves! Your babies are lucky to have you, life is hard enough without feeling guilty, we are all just doing the best we can.
For those that are just starting out, belive me it will get easier in time.

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

Thank you for promoting breastfeeding. Not enough people are aware of the full benefits of breastfeeding, which I think is so sad.

I successfully breastfed my first son until 2 yrs of age and am currently feeding my 3 month old twins. I know how difficult it can be to begin with but I also made sure I was fully aware of the pros and cons of each so that I could decide what would be best for my babies.

Prior to bottle feeding mothers had to breastfeed their own babies or use wetnurses to feed them. It is the most natural, convenient, and wonderful way to feed babies to make sure that they get all of the nutritional and bonding needs necessary.

I think it is very important that breastfeeding be promoted as much as possible. Not to make bottle feeding mums feel guilty but to better educate society. There are too many misconceptions about breastfeeding that cause people to not even try. It's time people started to promote it in such a way that everyone knows that it is the best way to feed babies, and also that they know the best way to start so that they have minimal problems. After all, once it is established it is far easier and more convenient than sterilizing bottles, mixing formulas, and heating to the right temperature.

In the early days it can be very difficult, but with persistance, support, and rest whenever possible, it will work and will be the most rewarding thing you can give to your babies.

Qld, 3yr boy, 3mth twins

Hi J.E.

Welcome!

I agree wholeheartedly about the need for the dissemination of CORRECT information re breastfeeding!! [as you might have guessed from my posts here smile ]

Congratulations on your breastfeeding so far and double congratulations for bf the twins!! So many believe that it isn't possible to feed multiples!

Cheers

jm
Sign in to follow this topic