Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. 4 week old & breastfeeding

4 week old & breastfeeding Lock Rss

Hi all
I have a lovely little girl who is 4 weeks old.
I am wondering what the feeding should be like by now. I have suffered and suffered with the breastfeeding (including mastitis) and still have a bad cracked nipple.

She feeds ever 3 to 4 hours - she only sucks for about 10 mins and then it takes about 1hour and 10 mins to get her to sleep again (with the burping, changing of nappy and her crying). Does this sound about right? I change her napppy and try to put her back on the breast but she only takes about 3 or 4 mins

Any feedback will be appreciated
Happy mothering to all!
Hi amaya
my son is now 7 weeks old.
I had the same problem and thats why i stopped breastfeeding and started expressing all his feeds.So now i can see how much he gets (120mls) and he still gets the goodness just from a bottle. My nipples were so sore and he would just fuss at the boob. Sometimes i struggle to get 120ml for every feed so i give him a bottle of formula a day to help my supply.
I really enjoy feeding him much more from the bottle as i was getting angry and flusted which made him upset.
hope this helps

From Rach

Ethan 18/04/06 Hannah 13/04/07 Yep we were crazy a

Hello

Congratulations on the arrival of your little girl!!
My son is 5 weeks old and I stopped breastfeeding him two weeks ago because of the same problem...

I don't think it really matters how long she feeds for, as long as she is having plenty of wet nappies - then you know she's getting enough.

How much does she weigh? If she is little, she might not need much milk!!

I put my bubs on the bottle and that didn't make feeding problems any easier!! He still stuffs around at his feeds and takes totally different amounts each time!!

Taking about 1 hour to get her back to sleep sounds pretty normal and remember that once she is about 6-8 weeks old things will settle and a get a little easier...

Hope this helps smile

Stacey, VIC Mother of 2

hi amaya,
have you considered calling a breastfeeding counsellor? you might like to check out the website www.breastfeeding.asn.au
you will find good info there and discussion forums too.
breastfeeding can take some time to get the hang of. it sounds like bubs is having plenty of wet nappies and poos? this is a good indication that bubs id getting milk. some babies can feed efficiently and fill up in 10 min. babies generally need 8-10 feeds in 24hrs .

it can be very upsetting listenning to your baby cry.there can be lots of reasons for babies to cry, -hungry, tired, lonely, wanting to be picked up, uncomfy, hot/ cold... have you tried settling her with another breastfeed?
perhaps tou could try canging her nappy and burping her after the first breast. does she come off herself after feeding? does she seem sleepy and satisfied? or fussing and unsettled? does she fall asleep at the breast?
it is common for babies to have an unsettled period in the evening.

sometimes a fast flow of milk can add to colicky symptoms, some mums let the first gush go into a cloth nappy and then reattach bubs.
i hope it all goes well for you.

mum of 3 girls

Hi Amaya,

At 4 weeks old the feeds are still very erratic. Some babies are more effecient on the breast and feed very quickly. More important to look at nappies and weight gain.

As for BF, this will be the worst time for you as it is exhausting and painful. Cracked nipples is a main reason why some give up. Use Lansonol (?spell) on your nipples after a feed and it should heal soon. Rub some milk on the nipple first and air dry before you use the cream.

What you're doing sounds about right. The feeding should start to get better in about 4 weeks. I remember VERY vividly what it was like for me and almost gave up. My daughter would cluster feed during the late afternoon until about 11.00pm. I would have my boobs hanging out (LOL) from about 4pm til about 11pm and would constantly be feeding (about every 30 mins). But I'm so glad I persevered. I said I'll give up at 6 weeks, then it was 2 months, then it was three months and then 6 months and now she's over 7 months and my next aim is 12mths.

Formula is fine but don't give up BF unless you are adamant that it is what YOU want to do. Unless you're 100% sure you don't want to bf keep going because it all gets better from here. Good luck!

Mum to Aidan 20 Jan 04 and Georgia 10 Nov 05

Sign in to follow this topic