Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Should you wake baby for night feeds

Should you wake baby for night feeds Lock Rss

Hi All,
Im expecting bub number 2 in december.A friend of mine just had her 2nd baby and just happened to mention that they wake the baby at regular intervals at night to set the routine for night feeding, then you can determine when the baby wakes. With our first we just let her sleep if she wanted and fed her when she wanted. We never woke her to feed.
Is it better to wake them late in the evening to feed and then during the night. Or is it better to let them set the rotine of when they want to feed and sleep. The first time we were so scared and tired that we had no routine at all, we got through but if this is a better way then we might try it.
Any opinions on this would be greatly received. Thanks dawn

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

I think it is all the mother's choice.

I let Ryan set the routine, fed when he wanted to feed and sleep when he wanted to sleep. By 8 weeks he was sleeping through the night but at 3.5months he still doesn't have a real clear daytime routine. I just go with the flow a bit.

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

We dream fed our 4 and 1/2 month baby at 11.00PM (he feeds at 6.30-7.00PM) otherwise he would wake us at 2.30 for room service!...He then sleeps through until 6.00-7.00AM
Apparently it does not work for all babies, but it worked for mine!...he then eats every 4 hours during the day....

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi Dawn,

My baby is 4 weeks old & she has a feed at 10.30/11pm and sleeps right through to about 5.30am where she makes a little noise & goes straight back to sleep, she then wakes & feeds at about 9am & then into routine feeding during the day (where I do wake her if she is sleeping).
I wonder if this is good too, but its seems to be routine for her as she has been like this since we came home.
Everyone tells me its fine, why disturb her when she is happy & my husband & I are also getting our sleep as I was waking her up @ night for feeds for the first week (which she never took properly either) because the hospital forced routine on us (nurses actually came in to wake us when a feed was due). She has woken unsettled a couple of times @ 5.30 so I have fed her & is very happy this way.
I was prepared to wake regularly in the night, but am very happy that I dont have to as its a lot less stress. I think it is really your decision, but also depends very much on whether your baby will sleep right through as many dont.
Good luck in making your decision grin

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

Hi Dawn

I'm expecting baby#2 in March. With our first I just let him set his own routine and he started sleeping through the night at 9 weeks old. Up until then he was still waking 2-3 times per night and all of a sudden he just started sleeping through. I was worried he wouldn't be getting enough to eat so the nurse suggested I wake him when I went to bed and 'dream feed', which I tried but he wouldn't feed properly anyway so I just left him to sleep peacefully. I know some parents who have woken their babies to feed late at night for a feed to save them having to get up in the very early morning, for some it worked and for others it didn't. My advice is to just go with the flow, if your baby is hungry they will wake but if not just let them sleep.

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy
Jasmine
with both my girls i woke them every 4 hrs during the day( if they needed to be woken) and let them sleep at night from 6pm onwards. That way they learn the difference between night and day. My older daughter has slept through from about 6 weeks of age and my younger daughter sleeps 12-13 hrs at night and she is only 10 weeks. so i strongly recommend this.

Tanya, mum of Lily 08/12/03 & Hana 26/07/05

Sign in to follow this topic